Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a kind of guitar shape that really fits you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a kind of guitar shape that really fits you?

I guess it's a thing of trial and error when you're looking for the perfect guitar and often it takes many years to make sure that you've found the right one the one where you'd go "Yeah, this is me."

In my own case, the kind of guitar I owned the most examples of in last ten years was the SG, I still own the very first one I got, a cheap no-name plywood body number which I got from somebody by buying him a beer.

my second SG was a Trevor Wilkinson designed Vintage Branded number, it was Cherry red, based on the 1961 SG, lovely guitar but with a lacklustre sound. I sold it to my buddy Jack T. who's now in my band.

My Third SG was my self made "Fido" which I made from using leftover Oak floor panels and pine from a table, I bolted on a surplus Telecaster neck and adding Dimarzio pickups, I still have it.

My fourth SG was an LTD Viper, with that one it was a case of complete certainty that I wouldn't keep it, I loved the way it played (I'm still convinced that ESP makes the best budget guitars out there) but I hated the 24 fret neck and the resulting sound of an alder body.

My fifth SG was a 2004 Gibson SG standard, instant Angus, was a cool guitar that was, and it sounded so good but what I didn't like was the fact that the wider neck profile didn't suit my playing style, I have since tried out many SG's in shops and found out that the more upmarket versions all come with that wide neck and as such I'm more akin to go for the cheaper SG special if I'll buy a Gibson again.

My sixth SG was an Epiphone G400 that I could buy cheap because the neck had broken off, I repaired it but it never matched the roar that the Gibson had. I sold it to our bassplayer Ade, who smashed it.

My Seventh SG is my 30 bucks Morris SG copy, which is a very cool Japanese copy with a very destinct sound. I still have it.

My eighth SG is the modified metallic blue SG custom which has three vintage DiMarzio pickups. I have used it on all of the recordings of my band's upcoming release "The last men standing" and I'm really falling in love with it.

So why the SG then?
    Well it's mostly the comfort issue, the bevels make for a guitar that feels almost flush with your body. There are no sharp edges like there are with a bound top on a Les Paul, SG's are light, they are dependable and because of the thinner body than a Les Paul have more highs in the overall sound which makes for a more versatile sound.

I agree. My SG is the most comfortable guitar I have played so far.
    Gibson SG Standard
    Jackson DK2M Dinky
    Silvertone S615 Acoustic from the 60's
    Roland Micro Cube
    Marshall MG100DFX

Comment

Originally posted by Dinky93 View Post
      I agree. My SG is the most comfortable guitar I have played so far.
      Me too, I love my SG. The Charvel is nice, but it's not as comfortable
      Ratt & Roll

Comment

Fender Jaguar. The best ergonomic body fit I ever played.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

ahhhh, for me it is, without a doubt, the fender stratocaster. the older the better. my main strat now is a 62. belonged to my grandfather. it is a daily player. most comfy guitar i own.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Yup, the Strat body is perfection. I'd love to see a pic of your '62!

Comment

here's the only pic i could find right now. i have more. i'll have to look tomorrow

it's in fairly decent shape considering it's age. grandpa was a country/western guy. most of the fret wear is in the "cowboy chord" positions - C and F chords.

it has its fair share of dings and wear spots. the paint has worn thin in a couple of areas, but still shines pretty good overall. the trem is rusted and crunchy - i have never tried to use it. it has the single ply pickguard and all the plastic is original....it feels awesome and sounds even MORE awesome. it is very mellow for a strat.

it spent about 30 years in the closet, then when he was about to pass he told me i could have it - because he knew i'd PLAY it, not sell it. hahahaha, my cousin jason wanted it to sell. grandpa literally told him to fuck off when he asked if he could have the guitar. i have used it on a couple of gigs, it sounds great but it falls into the category of "recording guitar" mostly.....
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

its a toss up between my KV2 and my Parker fly, both very different, and equally as comfortable in a different way.

Comment

Mark that is stunning...cool story too!

Comment

For me it's my NASLs. They fit me like one of my old t-shirts. Both the body contours and the neck. It feels like they're not even there - that I'm picking and fretting strings that are suspended in air.

I've had a few Gibson SGs and though I'm a huge Sabbath fan, the SG and me do not get along. Mine were all neck-heavy, and the body edges were too sharp for me.

Nailed all the Sabbath and older Priest and AC/DC I had at the time, but beyond that, meh.

The SoCal and Style 1 are almost as comfy as my NASL, but since it's a different shape, it's not as transparent-feeling.

My USA SLS weighs a bit more than the NASL (thicker body), but it's about halfway between the NASL and SoCal as far as comfort.

My "desert island" guitar would definitely be an NASL.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Tele for me followed by a strat but overall I prefer Les Paul :p
                      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

A Jackson Warrior still the most comfortable to play sitting or standing, & it just screams METAL
                        According To The Prophecy

Comment

Like Newc, I've got the SG for my insane Tony Iommi crush (now with EMGs and down to Dropped B).

And a Les Paul because I wanted to be Slash.

But afterthat, everything is Strat shaped - the strattier the better.
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

I've been trying to figure out why I like particular guitar shapes. For me, I think it comes down to strap pin placement. If it's a V, Explorer, ML, or other shape where the front strap pin is on the neck plate, that's the best. LP's are good too, because the pin is around the 15th fret. Strats are worse because the pin is around the 12th fret. I finally figured out that having the pin at the neck plate pushed the neck further away from me, and makes it much more comfortable to play above the 12th fret on the lower strings. This has been a bitch to realize, because I really want an Adrian Smith sig, but it's the wrong shape!

Pat

Comment

I'm at home on anything that's Strat shaped. I've had Explorers, LPs, Rickenbackers, and Teles but Strats are it for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X