An Ibanez fixer upper Les Paul...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Ibanez fixer upper Les Paul...

Last week attended a vintage guitar fair where I bought a rather unfortunate victim of eighties "let's make it look metal" ethic. Believe it or not but this WAS an early seventies Ibanez Les Paul Custom copy with the lawsuit "open book" headstock. It has three dimarzio pickups and again was fitted with "Everything-and-the-kitchen-sink-is-also-included" switching options. But for 75 Euro's I didn't consider it a bad deal, there's a lot of usable parts on this one.

Well I removed that Junk from the Ibanez' top revealing THIS.

As you can see it had a couple of home applied (rattle can) re-finishes which also covered the body bindings. Also, as I suspected, the middle pickup is not original and the hole is rather crudely made.

Here's pictures I took when I started the stripping.

You guys wouldn't believe me if I tell you that I came across four colors, note also that there's no Mahogany anywhere to be found...

There's some of the original finish still left within the cutaway, the previous owner apparently couldn't remove it from that spot.

The previous owner glued in the neck using two component resin, the same stuff used to restore cars with, as a result it sat way too high in the pocket, but chopping away that junk rectified that.

Nice snug join, just as intended.

And here's what the guitar looks like today.

I routed out the space between the pickups and filled it with a solid piece of maple that I carved to match the carving of the body, I then routed the whole thing for two humbuckers.

I know, it doesn't look like much but when the humbuckers are in you don't see the mismatching pickup routs.

And I also filled the holes where the mini switches sat. and sanded the whole thing smooth, you won't see the things after the guitar is finished in black.

And here's a little preview on what it will look like finished.

Looking good, great work!
    Just one more guitar!

Comment

Cool! What type of finish are you going to use?

Comment

What did you use to strip it?
        Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Is that whole thing maple?
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Looks good so far. That carbon fiber stuff was so ugly.
            "Dear Dr. Bill,
            I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack The Riffer View Post
                What did you use to strip it?
                240 grid sandpaper and a rotary sander.

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Is that whole thing maple?
                no, it's actually an alder body with a birch ply top.

Comment

make sure the neck isn't sitting too low in the pocket. Judging by the pics, it looks very low. Bolt on neck LP's generally have their strings higher off of the body then set necks.

Comment

Great job!
                    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
                    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
                    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
                    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
                    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
                    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
                    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
                    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
                    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
                    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
                    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Well I put it together to test the pickups and to check if I need to lower the neck in the pocket.

The Pickups work flawlessly but the string spacing of the bridge is a little too narrow.

And this picture shows that I have to set the neck in lower, because the bridge needs to be extremely high to make this guitar playable.

So now it's ready to be primed and painted.

Comment

Slavantas will play on the Ramrock festival in Belgium next month and if all goes well I'll bring along this guitar, since it plays and sounds so good.

Comment

Nice work - keep up the progress pictures!!!

Comment

What Dimarzio's did it have prior?

Comment

Nitro? Poly-E? Poly-U? Stain? Bueller?

Comment

Working...
                              X