PowerTube's "Polish A Turd" Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerTube's "Polish A Turd" Project

I was originally intending to make a do-it-myself Yngwie Strat, but I've decided to forego the scalloping idea for now because I'm not convinced that I would like a scalloped board. So I picked up a Squier Bullet Strat earlier this week and started doing my thing. I have to admit that the Strats have a certain charm to them, even though they aren't my cup of tea.

I just did a fret polish and lemon-oiled the board. No strings on yet. Ignore the crappy camera quality.

On the back, I decided that the plain white cover and "Squier by Fender" neckplate had to go, so I painted them (and installed the neckplate backwards with the smooth and painted side out).

And finally, here's a headstock closeup. The Testor's waterslide decals are so-so, because you can see the lines clearly in certain light. I may someday get a wild hair and order some better ones and redo.

I also replaced the headstock string retainers with the ball type. The standard ones, those cheapo sheet metal hooks, keep it out of tune consistently so maybe these will do a bit better. I'm about to string it up and set intonation and action. At some point I'll probably get a hotter pickup for the bridge, at least.

Anyway, let's hope that this $110.00 Squier doesn't end up somewhere in the $300-$400 category after I'm done!
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

I'm a firm believer that you can polish a turd, (have done so myself with great results) and can't wait to hear your final opinion...
    Guitars:
    Jackson DK2M Blue Bengal
    Jackson PS-4
    Charvel CX 390
    Gibson Les Paul Studio
    Gibson Les Paul Jr. Pro
    Gibson Les Paul Special
    '56 Gibson J160E
    Galveston Acrylic Strat
    couple of other oddities

Amps:
    Vox AC100CPH
    Ibanez TBX150H

Comment

Originally posted by allcree View Post
      I'm a firm believer that you can polish a turd, (have done so myself with great results) and can't wait to hear your final opinion...
      I have pretty much reached my final opinion. It's still a Squier and that speaks for itself. The ball-type retainers help the tuning tremendously. It turns out that I don't really need to swap the pickup because the Vetta gives it all the "hot" it needs. I'm still amazed by the lack of hum, though. There is NONE, believe it or not.

In general, it has a decent feel after lowering the action. It's still nowhere in the ballpark of my Soloists, which I knew it wouldn't be, but I'm glad I got it as a beater if nothing else. I may someday get a wild hair and scallop the board but that's not a priority right now.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Working...
      X