Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson SG's worth.

Pictured on screen right:

About 10 years ago now, as a favour to a bud, I bought this for $300. He got it used in the same way as you see it. I've done nothing to it.

Someone locally is looking to buy an SG, but I'm hesitant to put it out in the market to him because it might be a gem......or not!

Stamped into the wood behind the headstock is serial #187357 and Made In USA. I've done some surfing and as best as I could, it's a 1970,'71 or '72 era SG.

- It's missing the pick-guard; one of those half sized ones which I figure was black 'cuz the back cover is.
    - Brass replacement parts; tuning pegs, truss cover, pickup bezels, bridge and tailpiece. Other than the truss cover, the rest of the brass pieces look worn. Have no idea as to the brand, but I'm sure it's something of quality!
    - In the accessory compartment of the fitted case, there's a little plastic bag with volume pots, switches and a jack, so it's pretty safe to assume the electronics have all been upgraded.

Part of me wants to keep it because it's the only old world guitar in my stable, but the other part figures on lettin' it go 'cuz it doesn't get played much.

Gibby experts; Can ya' help me out?
    G.

My buddy has a '73 SG that somebody offered him $750 for it the other day, and its been refinished! Your looking around 700-900 guitar!
    "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Unless it plays and sounds like a monster, dump it.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

3 years ago I had a 1979 SG I bought for $625 and flipped for $1350. 100% original.

It was a very nice guitar and I'll probably regret it, but I'm a traditionalist. I like my LPs and SGs to be like those from the late 50s and early 60s. There were just too many cosmetic issues, and I already have 2 great SGs (a 63 Special and a 98 Std.). This 1979 totally nailed AC/DC (no wonder).

I think it's the first guitar I've sold in 20 years.

(edit) Oh, on yours, keep it unless you have a real good reason to sell. Or you'll regret it.

Comment

keep it man, ten years from now you'd be kicking yourself in the ass for selling it.
          Guitars:
          Jackson DK2M Blue Bengal
          Jackson PS-4
          Charvel CX 390
          Gibson Les Paul Studio
          Gibson Les Paul Jr. Pro
          Gibson Les Paul Special
          '56 Gibson J160E
          Galveston Acrylic Strat
          couple of other oddities

Amps:
          Vox AC100CPH
          Ibanez TBX150H

Comment

I wanted to respond last night, but my lady friend convinced me my face should be in her crotch rather than a guitar book.

Anywho, the guitar that you have is a late '72 or early '73 SG Standard. It wasn't a great guitar, but it wasn't bad either. Personally, I'd try to find some period correct hardware and send all that brass shit on a hike. However, if you're not gonna play the guitar, I wouldn't invest a whole lot of money in it although period correct hardware would help in the sale of the instrument. Don't expect to get rich off this critter. It may be over thirty years old, but it wasn't one of the most popular SG models.

I'd ask $1000 and be happy with anything above $650. Good luck!
            "POOP"

Comment

Thanks guys.
              From my searches and such, I did arrive at around the same dollar values as you all did. Be that as it may, I'm still on the fence on this.

I brought it to my tech guy on Tuesday and he's gonna clean 'er up, do a fret job and basically get it looking and playing nice.

I never really bonded with it, but I think it's because when I got it, I left it as is from when my buddy had it. He screwed around with the truss and the setup was horrible. I just never got around to working on it.

When I get it back, I just might keep it. My tech did a great job on my BC Rich Seagull, so he knows what setup I prefer.

It does sound like a monster, but it never played like one. That aspect's obviously gonna change when I get it back. We'll see.

Comment

Working...
              X