Gibson Explorer query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Explorer query.

Typed in the title above in this forum for a search, went through all 9 pages and to my disappointment, I got bupkiss!

First off, here's a pic of the Explorer in question;

It's for sale locally and at that asking price, I might jump on it! However, it's been three days and he's still not replied to my email.

Obviously the EMG's and pick guard are upgrades and, depending on the year, maybe the Gotohs.

I'm stumped as to what year and model this is. I don't care what year it was made, but I'd prefer it to be one of the all mahogany ones. I might consider it if it is either of the other woods. {Korina's a no brainer, but I highly doubt this is one of those.}

The control layout has got me stumped too. Looks to have two knobs and a toggle inline at the bottom, as opposed to three inline knobs and the toggle at the horn. It's definitely not the triangle layout knobbed one.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Cheers!
    G.

To find out the year look at the serial Number the first five numbers is what you should be concerned about. YDDDY is the format, here is an example 82454 is a 1984 made on the 245 day of the year.

And explorers from about '89 on should be all Mahogany. Don't about the control layout I am sure dude just switched the toggle to a more comfortable position, and removed one of the knobs.

Comment

Is the price US or Canadian? If it's Canadian, it's a no-brainer. Even at US pricing, it's very good. You can always return it to stock as none of those mods are one way. Keep the Grovers, as they are good locking keys.

As said earlier, just check the SN to find out what year it was made and look for breaks, repairs and wear.

Best of luck...

Originally posted by GinSonic View Post
      Typed in the title above in this forum for a search, went through all 9 pages and to my disappointment, I got bupkiss!

First off, here's a pic of the Explorer in question;

It's for sale locally and at that asking price, I might jump on it! However, it's been three days and he's still not replied to my email.

Obviously the EMG's and pick guard are upgrades and, depending on the year, maybe the Gotohs.

I'm stumped as to what year and model this is. I don't care what year it was made, but I'd prefer it to be one of the all mahogany ones. I might consider it if it is either of the other woods. {Korina's a no brainer, but I highly doubt this is one of those.}

The control layout has got me stumped too. Looks to have two knobs and a toggle inline at the bottom, as opposed to three inline knobs and the toggle at the horn. It's definitely not the triangle layout knobbed one.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
      Cheers!
      G.

Comment

It's Canadian dollars. {Yes. I know. Even a better deal. That's why I'm pursuing it!}
        It's located in a municipality only about twenty minutes from me.

He's still not returned my email. I asked for the serial number in my email to him, so hopefully he gets back to me on it.

When and if this happens, I'll let you all know.
        Cheers.
        G.

Comment

at that price, you'de be nuts to leave it, hopefully he get's back to you. If i was evil i would take the ferry over to scoop you...
          Guitars:
          Jackson DK2M Blue Bengal
          Jackson PS-4
          Charvel CX 390
          Gibson Les Paul Studio
          Gibson Les Paul Jr. Pro
          Gibson Les Paul Special
          '56 Gibson J160E
          Galveston Acrylic Strat
          couple of other oddities

Amps:
          Vox AC100CPH
          Ibanez TBX150H

Comment

Apart from the early 80s models, which were made from alder, unless its specifically announced, they're made from mahogany. The owner has most probably changed the position of the 3-way switch when he changed the pickguard and the pickups.

Otherwise, looks original to me.

Comment

Well I inquired a 2nd time as to its availability and if he received my 1st message; Dude never returned either emails and marked sold on it last night.
              Ill mannered bastard!

Lock this thread. It's done!

Comment

Working...
              X