Selling local or over ebay? Les Paul Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling local or over ebay? Les Paul Custom

Hello all, I used to be a consistent poster on this forum but college and stuff has made me less into guitar. I need money too so I want to sell my Les Paul Custom. I bought it from someone here I think about 3 years ago. I was thinking craigslist but it's such a shady place. How much do you think it's worth? I'm hoping at least $1,400.

What I think happened to it. It is either a 1970 or a 71. At some point, the headstock crack and it was stripped of all parts. The only thing original is the nut I think. Someone repaired the headstock. I'm guessing Ace Frehly was really popular so someone added a 3rd pickup to it. Once the 80's came around, someone Kahlered it and later made stock. There's a pit between the tail piece that has been covered and painted. I know it's been painted in some areas because there are different shades of color. What is really obscure is the serial number is 11111x. It looks like the 6th number is there but barely readable.

I wasn't able to find a box that can handle the large Gibson cases so I'm just gonna buy a guitar bag if I can sell it.
    Last edited by ApeDosMil; 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM.

That sounds kind of high given the condition and mods. An auction will most likely yield the highest price.

Comment

I was going to say no problem to the $1400 until I read all the "issues".

Put it on ebay, disclosing all the issues. You might get a real surprise at how much you get for it, or maybe not.

It's impossible to really tell what it's worth because you don't know if everyone will balk at the issues or if people will ignore the issues and bid it up because it's a classic.

Comment

I am pretty sure Newc owned that for a while. Auction is your best bet. $1400 seems kind of steap for my blood.
        Scott
        Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Yeah it probably is. Just wishful thinking on my part lol.

Comment

Don't forget the state of the economy too. A year ago, you might have gotten $1,400 for it without a problem. Now however, I'll just wish you luck and leave it at that.
            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
              I am pretty sure Newc owned that for a while. Auction is your best bet. $1400 seems kind of steap for my blood.
              That's what I thought too, but didn't that LP have electrician tape covering the middle pickup hole?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                That's what I thought too, but didn't that LP have electrician tape covering the middle pickup hole?
                I think that guitar has been bounced around a bit. I'm pretty sure at least one other JCF bro owned it (other than Newc). It's definitely the same one, so, someone just stuck a pickup in the hole.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Yeah, about a year ago I fixed it up. I can't decide if I want to keep or sell it and get a Fender Strat. I'm not into guitar as I used to be.

Comment

man, i always really dug that Custom!

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                      I think that guitar has been bounced around a bit. I'm pretty sure at least one other JCF bro owned it (other than Newc). It's definitely the same one, so, someone just stuck a pickup in the hole.
                      I think John (jgcable) owned that one, too.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        I think John (jgcable) owned that one, too.
                        It's a bit of a whore lol.

Comment

My guess is you MIGHT get $750-$800 at this point in time.People aren't hitting on fix-er-uppers just unmolested collector pieces.Good luck.Cool guitar tho'.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'd say "eBay" as well. But do yourself a favor: get some covers for the control cavities, and re-shoot the back shots. Covers will make it look like a relic rather than a beater.

There's a lot of mojo going on there. Makes you wanna toss back a few shots and bang out some serious blues stuff.

Good luck!
                            WarPig____________________________________________
                            "Live every day as if it were your last...
                            ...one day it will be."

Comment

Working...
                            X