Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone like the DiMarzio Super 3 pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone like the DiMarzio Super 3 pickup?

I`m converting my MIA HSS Fender Strat into a one humbucker,one push/pull volume knob ultimate axe and i`ve choose the DiMarzio Super 3 for the job. Just wondering if anyone likes,uses or just has any general thoughts about this pickup?

I have it in several guitars, one of my favs. A little dark for some but I think it's eq'ed just right for a strat. Tight bottom and low mid growl with just enough top end IMO.
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

I'm a big fan of the super 3. Had one in a HM Strat for many years, and more recently in several mutts, various Jacksons, and of course my pc-1 (they come with a super 3 stock). It's a very mid-focused pick-up, IMHO. Kinda chunky and rhythmic, if that makes any sense. The highs are sweet and creamy, with not too much "bite" on the top end. Of course, a lot depends on the type of wood the guitar is made of, but I have had good results across the board.

-Kenn

Comment

I have a Super3 that I want to use in the HM strat I'm restoring, but it's been drilled for a direct mount so I'm a little F'd there.

For the time being I stuck in a warpig, and was surprised to find that it sounds pretty good.

Comment

Thanks guys,sounds like a winner! I was first thinking bout going with the Super Distortion but since its going in a Strat,i thought it might be a little too bright so i went with the Super 3.
          I`m actually waiting for the Super 3 and the pickguard to arrive then i`ll take it to my tech for installation. Can`t wait to hear the final results.

Comment

I had it in a guitar and hated it. I went with the regular super distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              I had it in a guitar and hated it. I went with the regular super distortion.
              Don`t be a killjoy!

Comment

Don`t be a killjoy!
                Not a kill joy, just devils' advocate.

Comment

I have one in my HM strat and I love the way it sounds. And DonP, Ive seen where people have fixed that problem by crazy gluing (epoxy, whatever) little nuts under the ears of the pickup. The glue just needs to keep them from spinning, the tension of the spring keeps them in place. Ive seen people use solder also, but the glue might be easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    Not a kill joy, just devils' advocate.
                    Sorry it didn`t work out for ya.

Comment

I have one in several guitars that I have built. I really like it. Also, the Jackson PC1's come standard with the Super 3.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I've ordered a Custom Shop with a super 3 in the bridge position. I like it.
                        '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                        '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                        '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
                        '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
                        '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                        '13 Gibson M-III
                        Taylor 214CE
                        Dean 6-string Bass
                        Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                          And DonP, Ive seen where people have fixed that problem by crazy gluing (epoxy, whatever) little nuts under the ears of the pickup. The glue just needs to keep them from spinning, the tension of the spring keeps them in place. Ive seen people use solder also, but the glue might be easier.
                          Yeah, I have a Custom Custom that had been soldered. I bought it this way.

But where to find the nuts?

Comment

I have a whole plastic parts bin with drawers full of tiny screws and nuts. My dad took apart old radios and such for over 50 years and I inherited all of his parts bins. I will have a look and see what I can dig up.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
                              I have a whole plastic parts bin with drawers full of tiny screws and nuts. My dad took apart old radios and such for over 50 years and I inherited all of his parts bins. I will have a look and see what I can dig up.
                              That would be awesome.

I think they used brass nuts on my Custom Custom. I can solder them on no problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X