Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone like the DiMarzio Super 3 pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonP View Post
    That would be awesome.

I think they used brass nuts on my Custom Custom. I can solder them on no problem.

Ok, I found 3 nuts that fit perfectly on the screws of a Jackson pickup j80c. I know there are a few different threads to different brands but I think these will work for you. PM me your address and I will get them in the mail for you.

Comment

pm sent.

Comment

no. i hate the super 3. but i don't play with a scooped sound either. with my amp settings it sounds harsh and ugly.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
          no. i hate the super 3. but i don't play with a scooped sound either. with my amp settings it sounds harsh and ugly.
          May I ask: What kind of music do you play? And what pick-ups do you use?
          '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
          '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
          '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
          '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
          '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
          '13 Gibson M-III
          Taylor 214CE
          Dean 6-string Bass
          Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Interesting. I don't play with anything close to a scooped sound. Total mid-range dominance, if I had to describe my tone. And I love the super 3. It's not the be all and end all of pickups (that would be the Anderson H2+), but it's perfect for me. I can't imagine it sounding harsh. It's too low-mid focused to be harsh. What are you playing through?

-Kenn

Comment

Originally posted by ToneZone View Post
              May I ask: What kind of music do you play? And what pick-ups do you use?
              i play blues based hard rock/classic metal. i normally use a dimarzio paf pro or the jb. i have a couple guitars with the duncan custom/custom, but it depends on the wood.

i gig with pc-1 and sl-1 guitars. the pc-1's have the paf pro, the sl-1's have the jb.

i use rivera s120 amps with 2 rivera 1x12 cabs loaded with evm12l speakers on the dry side (the amp is stereo) and a mesa recto 2x12 vertical with vintage 30's on the wet side.

i use winged C el34 tubes, and my gain channel's eq is set at:

gain - 8
              bass - 4
              middle - 7
              treble - 4.5
              volume - 5

focus - 2
              presence - 4

the super 3 just sounded HORRIBLE with my rig. when i replaced them, i put them in beater guitars. my PS-7 has one it is okay in that guitar - but i rarely play it live. it is tuned to open G for recording and i will play it with a POD to get a useable sound.
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

Originally posted by kennslp View Post
                Interesting. I don't play with anything close to a scooped sound. Total mid-range dominance, if I had to describe my tone. And I love the super 3. It's not the be all and end all of pickups (that would be the Anderson H2+), but it's perfect for me. I can't imagine it sounding harsh. It's too low-mid focused to be harsh. What are you playing through?

-Kenn
                maybe it is the low-mid thing i am hearing. i guess harsh or shrill may not be the right term, but it sounds harsh in the lower mids. i have two mid-range eq settings i can use with my rivera, a 250K notch and a 500K setting. i keep my mids focused in the 500k range. on top of that they are cranked - see my last post for amp settings.
                GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

maybe it is the low-mid thing i am hearing. i guess harsh or shrill may not be the right term, but it sounds harsh in the lower mids. i have two mid-range eq settings i can use with my rivera, a 250K notch and a 500K setting. i keep my mids focused in the 500k range. on top of that they are cranked - see my last post for amp settings.
                  Well it seems that most people like the Super 3 except for markD. Those are pretty good odds imo. :ROTF:

Comment

Well it seems that most people like the Super 3 except for markD. Those are pretty good odds imo. :ROTF:
                    Don't forget me.

Comment

The Super3 is a GREAT pickup. One of my favorite 'Zos.

Comment

Originally posted by Metaled1020 View Post
                        yeah, well, i hate EMG's too. my favorite pickup EVER is the SD seth lover, so that should tell you something.....
                        GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Love the Super 3 here as well. Always looking for Super 3s in zebra. If you have one PM me plz.

Comment

It's too muddy to me. They cut the treble too much and added too much mids. I replaced mine with a super distortion.

Comment

yeah, well, i hate EMG's too. my favorite pickup EVER is the SD seth lover, so that should tell you something.....
                              How's the Seth Lover? I'm no fan of EMG's either. They take the warmth out of the guitar sound (Just my opinion).
                              '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                              '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                              '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
                              '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
                              '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                              '13 Gibson M-III
                              Taylor 214CE
                              Dean 6-string Bass
                              Morgan Ukulele

Comment

the seth lover is very clear, balanced and extremely low output. it seems to give the truest sound of your guitar that i have ever heard. it is a really awesome modern version of an original PAF - not overwound, not extra hot, no added distortion...just clear, unadulterated humbucking electric guitar sound.

the next best thing is the duncan antiquity PAF....but i like the seth lover a tiny bit better....it's more consistent.
                                GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Working...
                                X