I guess I am getting old. Opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I guess I am getting old. Opinions.

I have several guitars including Jacksons, Charvels, ESP. However it's been several months that I have been thinking to sell all of my stuff to get a Strat, a LP (not the chambered ones) and a descent Valve amp. What is going on with me ? I still listen to Metal most of the time however nowadays when it comes to playing I want to hear that Fender clean single coil tones and LP rock tone. What do you think guys about selling my stuff and having a classic setup of Strat-LP-Marshall?

Well, what Jacksons and Charvels have you got, and how much are you attached to them? They may find a loving home here

Don't do it mate! Not worth it, especially the LP idea!
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

do it, there's nothing wrong or about "being old" if you want to use the tones you like the most.
      but I'd keep one of the axes which has a floyd rose... you never know when you may need it.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I know exactly how you feel though. I have different guitars for different moods. I would keep them all and just get a Strat and an LP.

Comment

I know how you feel, too. I have been strangely attracted to Strats for the past couple of years, and I find that I play more "classic" hard rock (Van Halen, Aerosmith, Zeppelin) than metal. I still love my shredders too, though, even though I'm not much of a shredder myself. Definitely keep at least one OFR'ed guitar around. I miss them when I'm constantly having to fine-tune my Strats.

Comment

I think you fell and hit your head.

Comment

I've regretted every single guitar that I have let go over the years and would dearly love to get them back..I went all Les Paul when grunge hit and got rid of my warrior, my charvel and an Ibby to fund a couple of them.

I'd save up if I were you!

Comment

I definitely hear what you're saying. When I'm jammin with friends, 90% of what we play is classic/hard rock. My main guitar when playing with these guys is my Les Paul. Pc1 when a Floyd is needed. The Charvels and Jacksons for the most part stay home. Though I tend to break out the Charvels when we're actually playing in front of people. (Strange, now that I think about it...)

I would NOT sell every C/J: Maybe keep your favorite and sell the rest. I'm sure the folks here will give them a good home!

-Kenn

Comment

Remember its a mood your going thru.If you want a non chambered L.P. you will have to find and old one pre-89.
                  Strats get really old after a few days keep a J/C around you will miss it.
                  Find a used MIJ strat for cheap that should be easy.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

get an ESP strat. At least then you're not totally jumping ship.

Comment

The ESP strats are very nice.

But I know what you mean - I did the same thing in the 90's - the shredders went and I got some strats, a LP and an SG and of course a couple modded Tubescreamers.

Truth be told, I just don't get along with my Les Paul anymore. I'm much more of a strat guy - they just feel right to me. My LP sounds good, but its just not comfy.

Now, I still have one regular strat, and I play it a bit, but not as much as my Charvels and my new Ibanez.

I went through that bullshit "embarassed about metal" stage in my life and came to the realization that I like FAST, LOUD and HEAVY - and the guitars that do that best are Charvels, Jacksons and Ibanez. Guess what - I'm not playing church services, so I could give a flying F what people think about my music choices.

BTW - a non pointy Charvel or Jackson is probably the best middle ground - check out the ProMods and the Adrian Smith - they're basically very non-offensive shredders.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

its normal. I used to like graphics and pointies not its just strat shapes, stratheadstocks, trans finish, flame, quilts for me
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                          I would keep them all and just get a Strat and an LP.
                          +1

Do not sell them unless you absolutely have to. Someday you'll be driving home from work, hear some old VH or Ozzy and think "damn I wish I had my Jackson to shred on when I get home".

Comment

It has nothing to do with your age, you taste in sound & what you feel like playing might be changing. Don't sell them off just yet, get yourself a Strat or a LP & see if it does the trick .
                            According To The Prophecy

Comment

Same here. I still listen to classic metal but I don't have much use for the new metal. I was thinking about a new Jackson a few months ago but I played a friends Strat and now I am hooked. Now looking for a USA Strat. I don't play with the gain pegged anymore and have been listening to more tone oriented and stylistic players (like EJ). Getting old isn't that bad. Its kind of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X