Torn between two basses... Jazz vs Stingray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn between two basses... Jazz vs Stingray

my local shop has 2 cool guitars. A used MusicMan Stingray for 800$ , its got a few nicks and such, but plays pretty cool.

The local tech is also selling his Fender JAzz (mim) with Seymour Duncan Quarterpounders for the pups.

Im NOT a bass player, but I want to upgrade my cheap dean bass to something more suited to my needs.

It's all for hard rock / metal......

What route would you go?!?

Also, what do most metal/rock guys use for the pickups on the jazz, the bridge or the mid pup (yah, im a real n00b on bass)

musicman every time.

Jass necks are to thin for me.
    no sig.....

Comment

musicman. it will have better resale down the road too if you ever tire of it.
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I like the Jazz personally.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

the usa music man stingray. if you're playing hard rock/metal, that fat huge sound will be great.

very different neck shapes, the Stingray's overall quality will not disappoint. nor will the sound.

Comment

Musicman.
            Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

My brother has 2 1975 Jazz Basses. Yes, the necks are thin but they feel good in the hands of someone who is used to playing normal guitar necks.
              Scott
              Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

ive got a warwick 5 strign streamer as a toy and the neck on that is like a cricket bat.
                no sig.....

Comment

I vote the MM for the USA-manufacture alone.

However, I'm really diggin the Jazz-like neck on my Jackson JZB2. Like Stuka said, it's easy to switch from bass to guitar with a Jazz bass.

However, if you ever move up to a 5-string, your hand might not like you very much
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I went back again to compare.....

The Musicman sounds the best to MY ears. It just has this low end fullness that appealed to my ears.

On a side note, there was a Indonesian made Ibanez SR500 there on the rack. I tried it out, and was quite suprised at it's sound. It has bartolini pups (activE). It doesnt feel as solid as the Musicman obviously, but with some minor tweaking on it's onboard EQ, I left the shop second guessing if the musicman was worth double the price.

Im awiaitng an email in regards to another Stingray a guy is selling locally. The price is right and it's a 2007 model year.

My cheap Dean bass sonds weak, the Ibanez SR sounds much better at 500$. The Musicman sounds sliightly better (but feels like a beast compared to the SR500) for a few hundred more.

But yah, the active Ibanez kinda thru me for a loop. Im debating if that extra few hundred is gonna be worth it on the musicman!

Comment

Working...
                    X