Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classical Guitar Recommendation?

Hi Guys,

Been itching to play more classical stuff lately, and want to get a nice nylon string classical guitar.

I have one that a friend gave to me for free, but it's kinda crappy...

I already have several very nice electrics (with 2 USA Jacksons leading the pack), 1 decent steel string acoustic, so a nice classical is the last missing piece to round out a nice arsenal of instruments

Budget: ~$1500 (could go up a bit if the guitar is really nice)
    Specs:
    - cutaway preferred, though not a must
    - electronics preferred, but I can do without as well
    - larger frets preferred... don't really like the traditional tiny frets

Not really familiar with classical manufacturers, so any suggestions would be appreciated

- Leo.

Don't know many details, but I do know that solid spruce tops and sides are sought after. I imagine the same things you'd look for in a steel-string would be beneficial in a classical.
    Scott

Comment

some of the best classical guitars in the world are on this site. But they do have some very inexpensive ones too. Basically they have something for every price range

Dean MAB2 Aviator Signed
      Dean MAB1 Armor Flame Signed #3
      Dean RC7 Rusty Cooley 7
      ESP Horizon NTII
      Jackson SL1 USA
      Jackson PC1 USA
      Ibanez RGA-121
      Ibanez PGM 301
      Ibanez UV777BK Strung to high A
      Maton EBG808 TE (Tommy E)
      Alvarez CY127CE
      Click here for my You Tube Page!!!!

Comment

I'd look into Yamaha CG171SF
        I hear good things about them for the money.
        Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

If you don't mind used you can get a really nice piece for that. In that range the yamaha, ramirez, cordoba, and yairi all have nice models. If it were me I would seriously consider this one: http://elderly.com/vintage/items/28U-2219.htm It's not mine I was just drooling over it the other day and noticed this thread. I think you should also be able to get a r1 for well under that but without electronics.

Comment

If you buy a Canadian brand like La Patrie or similar (ie Godin), you will get a better guitar for the money than going with an imported brand. I paid about $500-$550 for my La Patrie concert CW. I similarly apointed and featured Yamaha classical was $200 more.

The Godin nylon guitars are a favourite of classical musicians around the world. Available in a variety of sizes and configurations, most models are ideal for beginners and seasoned studio players alike.

Their "Collection" series is their highest end product but I don't know what price range they run.

The Godin nylon guitars are a favourite of classical musicians around the world. Available in a variety of sizes and configurations, most models are ideal for beginners and seasoned studio players alike.

For strings I highly recommend these...

From guitar strings to drumheads, woodwind reeds to orchestral strings, find everything you need to enhance your sound on daddario.com. Shop now >
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              If you buy a Canadian brand like La Patrie or similar (ie Godin), you will get a better guitar for the money than going with an imported brand. I paid about $500-$550 for my La Patrie concert CW. I similarly apointed and featured Yamaha classical was $200 more.

Their "Collection" series is their highest end product but I don't know what price range they run.

For strings I highly recommend these...

http://store.daddario.com/category/1...Normal_Tension
              For us La Si Do is an import though.
              Make really good stuff even though they are Canadian.

Leo's in Canada?
              Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I bought a Godin ACS-SA Slim with Roland interface capability last year. A really awesome guitar. The neck is fast, and sounds great plugged in or not. It really shines playing it with a Synth!

Last edited by Bengal65; 07-02-2009, 04:25 PM.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

The only ones mentioned here that I have played are Godins and Yamahas... so I am strongly leaning towards these two brands.

I know the local big box music store has a Ramirez or two... I'll play it the next time I go there.

Yes, I am in Canada...

- Leo.

Comment

This past year I picked up one of those Ramirez 125th anniversary models used but in like new shape. I'd like to take some classical lessons but time is a major issue at the moment. Ramirez has always made nice classical guitars. Obviously the price range can reach pretty high but even their "lower" end stuff is nice!
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I will second the Godin SAs. MIDI/VG guitar really goes hand in hand with classical style playing..............

Comment

I'll throw in a vote for the LaPatrie. Picked one up off EBay last year pretty cheap (don't recall exact amount - less than $500 IIRC) and it's got a great tone and is easy to fret.

It's a Presentation model with Godin Quantum electronics.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have an Alvarez Yari. They are very nice and are truly hand made by luthers in Japan. I have the CY-127CE and it sounds amazing plugged in or accoustic.

listen to video for reference. I recorded this before I got my camcorder so it's only audio. This is how it sounds plugged directly into my computer.

Here is my recording of classical gas performed on my Alvarez Yari CY127CE.
                          Dean MAB2 Aviator Signed
                          Dean MAB1 Armor Flame Signed #3
                          Dean RC7 Rusty Cooley 7
                          ESP Horizon NTII
                          Jackson SL1 USA
                          Jackson PC1 USA
                          Ibanez RGA-121
                          Ibanez PGM 301
                          Ibanez UV777BK Strung to high A
                          Maton EBG808 TE (Tommy E)
                          Alvarez CY127CE
                          Click here for my You Tube Page!!!!

Comment

Neoclasicci: good job on the recording!

I have been doing research, and I realized... what I really want at this point is a good Flamenco guitar that I can also do Classical repertoire on.... and not really a "Classical" guitar per se. Since what I really want to do is to get into Flamenco, and not Classical (which I learned for a year)... I would be better served by a specialized Flamenco guitar.

Eventually I plan to have a dedicated good quality Flamenco guitar, and a dedicated good quality Classical guitar... but right now I can only get one, so it'll have to be a good Flamenco guitar for now.

More specs so you guys can help me narrow it down:
                            - solid top (of course)
                            - solid sides and back (already got too many electric and steel string acoustic guitars, don't want more starter or mid-range guitars... at this point I either don't buy... or I go for good quality stuff)
                            - spruce top preferred

I am gonna go through the Guitar Salon site again, now that I have a better idea what I am looking for :idea:

- Leo.

Comment

Ordered the instructional package by this guy: http://www.graf-martinez.com/ Can't wait to get started on the material

Was watching a bunch of Flamenco performances and instructional vids on YouTube, and already picked up a few right hand techniques.

For the people that play both electric + nylon strings... do you keep your right hand nails short, or do you grow the nails out? OR do you use those finger pick things? (same thing as thumbpick... but for the fingers)
                              And if you grow your nails out, does it interfere with electric flatpicking?

I am gonna try some of these and see how they work...
                              Family owned since 1972, Elderly Instruments is a music store specializing in new, used & vintage guitars, banjos, mandolins, ukuleles and more. Shop today!

Thanks,

- Leo.

Comment

Working...
                              X