Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I do it to my 375 DLX ???

Hi all,

I need help deciding what to do with my 375. I picked up this guitar used, totally "stock," a few years ago for $139 at a Guitar Center clearance sale. I love the color, a light violet purple metallic. No matter how much I play it, I just can't "connect" with it and I know why. I guess I am one of the few who doesn't like the HSS combination. I love a "meaty" neck pickup, like say a Duncan Jazz neck p/u. I have tried those single coil sized humbuckers, but they just don't sound right to me. I'd rather play a guitar that has that nice big humbucker in the neck.

So hence the question:

Should I put a humbucker in the neck? I already have a black Duncan Distortion/Jazz set lying around. I even have a couple of "conversion" pickup rings I got from "Frets on the Net" so the pickup rings would match. I even went so far as to check with that ring in the neck position, the middle single coil would be right smack in the middle of the 2 rings (same distance to both ring edges.) I've tried the new Charvel Production So Cals and I love the 2 humbucker combination. I want one so bad but can't afford it these days (or at least justify the purchase of it!) I could do this mod in a matter of hours here at home at a cost of nothing more than the electricity for the power tools needed.

But should I????

Would I ruin it's "value?"

Is there any big value to these if I kept it "stock?"

What do you guys think????

Here is a picture of it "BEFORE" :

And I also have one of these, which has the same pickup combo, so I wouldn't void myself of all HSS guitars. This one I connect with though....go figure:

Thanks in advance for any input you might have. Be safe.
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

I'd leave it as is and get another... but that's just me.. It's a nice looking guitar.. If it was a beater, I'd say go for it..

Comment

I just sold one on ebay over a month or so, for 250+shipping. yours might be a little nicer color though, might bring more but not much, i would think! 475 go for 250 to 350 all the time!
      I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

If that was me I would toss in a mini or lil humbucker instead of making the hole bigger. Since that guitar is basswood I would go for one that has more highs. changing the pickup won't mess with the value too much. routing your guitar won't be worth much.
        Last edited by Rich#6; 09-10-2009, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
          If that was me I would toss in a mini or lil humbucker instead of making the hole bigger. Since that guitar is basswood I would go for one that has more highs. changing the pickup won't mess with the value too much. routing your guitar won't be worth much.
          He said he already tried single coil sized humbuckers.

BUT, I agree with you, I think he just hasn't found the right one yet.

OP,

You say you like a meaty pickup, but then you say you like the Jazz. Is there anything meaty about a Jazz neck pickup? For a meaty neck pickup, I'd go for the hot rails neck. But for something like a Jazz, I'd say go for a cool rails.

Comment

Lil 59

I say mod the fugg out of it. I don't think these things are worth much more than you paid for it In the long run.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

ide go for it

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm still on the fence. I'll tell you it's in pretty decent shape but not mint by any means. Lots of surface dings especially on back. Nothing too major but they (dings) are there. I didn't think it would be worth a whole lot. I bought it because of the price, it had been on sale there for the longest time at $299. I liked it then, but not at that price. (I guess that's my answer regarding it's value!)

I'd leave it as is and get another... but that's just me..
                I would love to get another, but that's part of my delemma. I can't justify buying anything else right now. Too many bills, not enough paycheck. My son is starting to consider colleges, so there goes a bunch of money being set aside (or trying to anyway.)

That's why I had this brainstorm. Almost like getting a new guitar without laying out any cash. All the mods I would get done for free, since I have all the main ingredients right now. I don't know. I was just wondering if I had some kind of "diamond in the rough" that I didn't know about. I wouldn't want to ruin something like that. Thanks again all!.
                Guitars:
                Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                1988 Model 2,
                Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                RR3
                Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                2005 SG Special

Comment

Working...
                X