New pickups for the 750XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pickups for the 750XL

I've had the Distortion Mayhem set in my 750XL since I bought it. It's been a very high output set, almost too much, and somewhat too much response in the lower mids / upper bass frequencies.

Looking at the guitar, I figured out why (besides the makeup of the guitar). The bridge pickup is actually quite far away from the bridge itself. Maybe twice as far away from the bridge as a Les Paul. This probably added to the fatness I was getting.

The solutions? Full Shred. Perfect match for this guitar. Nice and tight. Edgy as well. Think the first Metallica album, Kill Em All.

Now I just need to score the Full Shred neck to complete the project.

Could you get clips, Don?

I recall reading that you had that Distortion set in yours before and I was thinking about doing the same. I tried two Evos in mine and it really choked the natural tone out of it. Then I tried PAF Pro + Breed bridge. Breed bridge was really nice sounding but after trying a whole lot of Dimarzios, I realsied I prefer Duncans as they sound a bit more "transparent".

Like, Dimarzio's seems to filter the tone, whereas Duncans seem to shape it.

Right now I have the stock pickups back in it. I figure if Shawn Lane could get gorgeous tones with them, so can I! (But I can't... )
    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
      Could you get clips, Don?
      Trust me, you want to pass on that But I'll just say it's very tight. I used it with my DSL100 1/2 Stack, everything dimed, bass boost on, red channel 1. A lot of people complain about the DSL100 having too much highs and suggest killing the treble, but mine sounds good to me this way. With these settings, I was having a great time playing the first three Metallica albums.

For my fixed bridge 750XL, the DD was just too much power. If mine had a floating trem and/or the pickup was mounted closer to the bridge, it might have worked.

I have a few other pickups I could have tried - a screamin demon, a Super D, but the Full Shred was just meant for this guitar - short scale, fat tone, etc.

Another way I might have gone is wih PAF style pickups.

I bought this guitar without pickups so going back to the originals wasn't a choice, but I think the originals probably sound good.
      Last edited by DonP; 09-14-2009, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X