japan charvette or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• japan charvette or not

im new here and the main reason i joined was to see if i could get a few questions answered. after lookin round the internet this looked like the best spot to get'em. so here it goes , i picked up a White Charvette by Charvel , hb in the bridge and slanted single in the neck. 22 fret board with big dots and the 12th fret markers are oddley close. has a bottom loading black lic by floyd like i've never seen and the locking nut is behind a regular nut and the locking screws are big ugy screws that have to use a flathead screwdriver. it has 1 vol , 1 tone and a les paul type toggle switch selecter. the humbucker is covered and says charvel , and under that USA. i pulled it out and its ingraved JACKSON like there logo. the single is covered and just says charvel , nothing on the bottom. the neck pocket as what looks like a stamped F or E but like i said thats what it looks like , not sure but the rest is clear and it reads F or E -188-8 , but that last 8 is in blue ink. tuner backs say Charvel. also on the bottom heel of the neck is a stamped S . so i start lookin round the net and see that Koren made and that there juck and whatnot. but the guy i got it from said it wasn't and it was made in japan. and i did find a picture of the exact same guitar, same color and layout. its twin basiclly and it said it was japanesse. i seen the 90/91 catalog and none of those have the toggle switch like this one , there all the fender style slide type. i wish i could figure out how to show the pics cause i would but if any one can help me out, that be cool. i got a 100.00 in it and i didnt buy it thinking it was a mega dollar guitar, i just liked it . i stripped it and cleaed it up and restrung it and it plays damn good but the single sounds like crap but the bridge rocks , i dont have an arm for the floyd and it looks to pop in. ? its banged up a litte and really yellowed. the neck is thin and fast. thanks

also

the neck plate is the standerd FT Worth one and the number reads 002171. and also the backing plate for the tremlo isnt flush mounted but the control cavity plate is and i scraped away some paint on the inside to see if was plywood like everyone says and it solid wood not plywood at all. help

Comment

Here's a scan from the '89 catalog with the 150 showing a toggle switch. Can't tell what kind of string lock it has in the pic.

I've read a couple of threads where people say that the first 170 & 270 models (the ones with the jackson JT-6 trem) were made in Japan, but I don't know if that's really the case or not.

Comment

cool. so its an 89 model. also does anybody know were i could get exact replacement parts for the nut. im missin a screw and holder for it
        Last edited by 2112fan2; 09-19-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Hey bro, if you decide you don't want those big ugly flathead screwdriver needing lock nut screws, lemme know...I'll take em off your hands!
          sigpic
          The Family...

Comment

I have that exact guitar, color, toggle and all. Mine has a solid wood body and that crappy trem. I got it real cheap because the trem had fallen apart. I believe its a wb-3 and was used on many cheap 80s BC rich guitars too. The neck is sweet and the mumbucker does sound good. I think its a solid base for a project. I prefer that style of toggle switch. I always thought it was made in korea.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112fan2 View Post
              cool. so its an 89 model. also does anybody know were i could get exact replacement parts for the nut. im missin a screw and holder for it
              This dude's a member here and does great work:

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Here are allen replacement screws that can replace the big flathead screws:

Here are replacement plates for the string lock:

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. I new this would be the place to get some answers. Im gonna assume they just started the Charvette line in 89' and they made the first few in Japan , mine being of low number 002171 , is the most logical. Like i said , i dont have much in it and its a nice litte player to keep around. i'll do some mod's to it. Change the single locking setup to double locking and let er rip. It really is a good decent guitar. The neck reminds me of some of the Ibanez's i've had. It's really thin and fast. Thanks again

Comment

As long as the 12th fret dots are close together I'd say its MIJ.Serial numbers really don't tell you much.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I recently just purchased a plywood body 170 for the neck, and I want to perfect some painting skills on the body (figure no big loss, LOL) I have no use what so ever for the jt-6 or the j50bc humbucker (oversized black covered) and j200? I think single coil no mid boost circuitry if you need any of this stuff pm me and I will hook you right up but if you don't need it I'll keep it tell someone comes along that does need it. Yes I mean it's free if you NEED it, well if it's not going to cost a stupid amount to ship of course. We all need to stick together here as I'm sure this stuff is getting harder to find than hens' teeth. Don't know all I know is it will go to waste with me as the project the neck is for is getting duncans and maybe a Kahler.
                      I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

All parts are gone.
                        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Working...
                        X