Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 3 Mods

Hey guys,

I bought an '86 Model 3 a while back and LOVE playing it but the bridge sucks (kahler fulcrum) and I'd like to swap the bridge pickup. Any suggestions? for the pickup: maybe an EMG or some other active p/u. I do like the Jackson p/u in my chum's Model 4. For the bridge: I just want it to stay in tune and so far the best one I've tried is the Washburn (I know it looks like Hell).

Any suggestions?

mike

The Kahler Killer is a drop-in replacement for the Fulcrum. I believe they're not made anymore but you might be able to find one used. The Killer is a very good unit.

Comment

The Killer would be your best option, since it's a double-locking trem. If you're unable to find one, I know of a couple of guys who have put Wilkinson trems right on the same Kahler Fulcrum posts in these guitars. The post spacing is the same.

Comment

Kahler Killer's are awesome.

Comment

As for pickups-actives (EMG) will not mix with passives.
          It's all or nuthin'.

Jackson never made an active-they had a midboost preamp, but it is not an active pickup system.

Comment

As for pickups-actives (EMG) will not mix with passives.
            It's all or nuthin'.

Jackson never made an active-they had a midboost preamp, but it is not an active pickup system.
            I think you can do it if you use separate volume and tone knobs.

Comment

I'd drop a ToneZone or a J90c in the bridge, they've both worked well in my model 4, and sorry I can't help out with a trem recommendation.
              As it happens ... I've got a J50bc from my model 4 floating around in my parts box ...

Comment

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming! This will be my first crack at modifying a guitar (other than putting a Little '59 bridge p/u in my US telecaster a few years back. I see no point in owning a guitar that you don't play just to keep it "all original". Play it or get rid of it I say!

Comment

I really like the mid-boost on the "models" - makes the bridge very versatile...

Comment

Working...
                  X