No announcement yet.

Charvette Project Help (Picture Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvette Project Help (Picture Heavy)

Sorry, long post without a TL : DR

So I picked up a MIJ Charvette 170 a few years ago off ebay and did some minor overhauls as soon as I got it (took out the original pickups and just slapped a DiMarzio X2N, a chrome OFR and a set of chrome Gotoh tuners on it) with the intention of doing some other stuff later but never got around to it and then took a hiatus from playing for awhile. I'm playing again and found a few things off with it that needed to be addressed right away. Figured this long weekend was a good time to tackle this since school has quieted down for now.
    First thing I did was finally sit down and learn how to properly set up a Floyd Rose guitar from scratch (intonation was way off). I managed to get A through the high E intonated fine but my low E is set on the far back screw hole on the bridge and it's still sharp at the 12th fret while it's riding up on the back plate.

So far I haven't found any answers to fix this besides re-drilling the posts, is that my only option? The posts are the original's that came with the guitar's JT6 Floyd (which I still have) and I just slapped the OFR on when I got it.

My other issue, also with the Floyd Rose is at the other end of the guitar. The nut system was something I never seen before on a FR equipped guitar and from the day I got it it never locked right. So I've never experience the joys of a double locking tremolo system and because of that I never used the tremolo. Pretty much became an axe that took a lot more work when it came time to change strings.
    As you can see in this picture one of the faults of it not locking right is because the E/B strings "clamping plate" isn't much more then a piece of sheet metal cut out.

Is it possible to find a replacement for these still?

I wasn't sure if the other 2 plates that are original are still good or not, the D/G strings plate never seem to lock down much if I recall (sorry it's been awhile since I so much as bothered with the system to remember off hand and I currently have it unstrung awaiting modding).
    I was wondering if maybe it's because they're slightly rounded off at the top? I tried to capture it with a picture but it was difficult:

The rest of the project is pretty straight forward and I have a pretty good idea how to go about it. Going to give the fretboard a good cleaning/oiling, route out the neck pickup slot for a humbucker and stick a set of EMG-85/81 in it, drill a tone control knob (the control cavity is freaking huge for only having a volume/3-way switch stock) and wire it up. So that's kind of it for questions, although if someone has a template/suggests on routing a humbucker router I'm all ears.

While the guitar isn't a greater looker (paint job is the previous owner's doing with what I assume was rattle can, ugh. Wish it was just straight black), it's one hell of a player and I enjoy it enough to mod away
    Here's a few more pics for the {sarcasm} "eye candy" {/sarcasm} factor, ha!

Last edited by Outlaw; 10-10-2009, 01:17 AM.

The Floyd looks shot.
    My guess is the knife edge on the low E side is trashed or the post is worn.
    Definitely looks crooked.

That fret board looks gross.
    -Rick

Comment

I think you can get new posts and new plates from dave at www.fretsonthenet.com.
      Don't know what to tell you if the floyd's knife edge is shot.

Comment

I think its the pickup thats crooked. I can almost see the one screw hole. Did this model use the oversized pickup rings?

Comment

The pickup in the ring is sitting unscrewed and loose currently and at the time of these pictures, so that's probably way it's crooked looking. The humbucker ring is just a regular size (1.75" x 3.5").
          Yea the fretboard is pretty bad, it's been neglected for awhile. It being dirty kind of started this whole project since I was going to have it apart to change the strings and clean the board this weekend I figured it was a good time to plunk the EMGs in and maybe address some of the Floyd issues.

I snapped a few pictures of the posts and knife edges (top and bottom sides) and they look ok to me but I won't claim to be an expert on Floyds.

Comment

I pulled the neck off in preparation for laying out the new neck bucker router and snapped a pick of the neck pocket. Curiosity got me thinking about the age of the guitar since best I know it is somewhere between ~'89-'91 for the 170s. Does that number even represent the age since the middle number appears to be the model number :think: Sucks the first digit is smeared.

Comment

That Floyd model is not Floyd's proudest moment.
              8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

Working...
              X