1986 Model 3?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1986 Model 3?!?!?

Hi, I have very little experience with Charvel guitars and but I found a used Model 3 for 400$. Everything is stock/original. Anyone have one of these? or Opinions?
    How would this compare to a Jackson DKMG (older model that has afterburner,(other guitar I was looking at))

I love Model series Charvels, but I wouldn't personally touch one with that funky Kahler fulcrum trem. No thanks. Not compatable with any current other trems (maybe the Wilkinson???) and you can't get parts for it. IMO - Junk.

For '86s, stick to Models 1, 4-6. 87 and 88 you've got the Floyd option on all of them.

As far as the import Jackson Question - the difference is the Jackson is a Dinky, has 24 frets and EMGs. Body might be alder, too - I forget if they are Alder or Basswood like the Models 1-4. Personally, I don't like dinkies and I don't need 24 frets.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

That's way too much for one. If you use the trem ANY walk away. The model series are great guitars though.
      Completely different sound from a DKMG since it's an archtop.
      Both were made at the same factory.

Comment

I've got one, bought it in '86. I love it except the trem, which I had replaced (poorly and at great cost). Great thin neck.
        Last edited by Grawnday; 01-09-2010, 09:59 PM.

Comment

I have a red model 3A that I bought at GC for 170 and spent a 60 on a set up and cleaning, well worth the money for both. I agree that the Kahler fulcrum is a poor choice for these fine guitars. It works, mine needed a second visit to my luthier which a quick fix on his part and without a charge to me. I love the dang thang! It is as heavy as an M-1 tank, but the fret board is its best feature to me. I have one with two humbuckers and a five way selector switch. I do not care for the PUPS, but they are terrible nor is it a deal breaker for me. Comparing it to a DKMG is like comparing apples to oranges. I think you are better playing both and deciding what fits your type of style. I also agree the price is way high, their are quite a few model 3s and even a few model 6s that are used at Guitar Center for far less. I hope this helps. Since I bought my Model 3, I have picked up a 475 deluxe and a model 1, so I am a quite a fan of the Jackson-Charvel models both current and past, so my opinion is quite bias.

Regards,

Sean

Comment

You can actually swap the Kahler fulcrum-trem to a Kahler Killer, which is double locking and is a direct replacement. I think the Killer is also known as a 2700..I did this replacement on a model 3 I once had, and it made a world of difference!

Good luck, the model 3 is a great guitar!
            My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Morten is correct on the swap out, but just a heads up. I have found only new ones on line and they are pricey. Last one I saw was 250 new for the killer. Just an fyi. If anyone knows where to find them cheaper. I would be interested.

Regards,

Sean

Comment

if you want a used killer find an old peavey nitro or the models like that had the killer and swap the trems, they don't sell for much.

Comment

I think I payed 55 usd for my Killer 3 years ago..Man, how things change!
                  My bands page: www.myspace.com/wartexmetal

Comment

Working...
                  X