Trem Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trem Question

Is the JT590 a Schaller-made licensed Floyd Rose or a Schaller-made OFR? If it is a licensed Floyd Rose, how does it compare to the OFR?

My 550xl is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow!! The anticipation is killing me.
    RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

It's a licensed floyd rose. It's the same as the floyd rose II.
    FYI Schaller makes the German OFR for floyd rose.
    There are top notch in quality, I think they are just as good as an OFR.

Comment

The biggest differences between the FRII/JT-590 and the OFR are the length of the string locking screws and the baseplate material. On the OFR, the baseplate is one piece of high-quality steel. The FRII/JT-590 has a baseplate made of a softer die-cast metal with hardened inserts for the knife-edges. The current version of this trem, called the Schaller Floyd Rose, also has hardened threaded inserts for the intonation screws (saddle mounting screws). On the JT-590, these screws go directly into the soft metal, so be very careful not to over-tighten them, or they'll strip. That's the main weak point on an otherwise great trem.

Comment

Yep, be careful not to overtighten. That's what killed the baseplate in my old Schaller.

Comment

schaller were making their own version of the FR by the late 80's and confusingly called it the FRII, same as the korean ones. the diff btn the two are miles apart. the schaller ones used the same saddles as the OFR, yes it still had the knife edge inserts seen on the korea FRII. however the difference is that the knife edge on the schaller ones are shaped (curved) so as to reduce the risk of breakage, a common fault on the korean version. schaller FRIIs also have imprint of "made in germany" on the top of the baseplate. on the other side of the baseplate it usually has the guitar company name it is mounted on (e.g., charvel, jackson, even gibson used it, etc.)--schaller was selling them on license to charvel/jackcon, etc. in the form of the JT-590 i believe.
          the schaller FRII is just as good as OFR, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
            schaller were making their own version of the FR by the late 80's and confusingly called it the FRII
            Also not to be confused with the first version of the Floyd Rose II in the mid '80s which was only a non-locking trem (single-locking in that you'd only lock at the nut). I'm not even sure if that was made by Schaller, as there's no markings on mine from my old Kramer that I've still got lying around.

There was also a single-locking Floyd Rose III that was even worse than the II.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sounds like there is a FRII.I, a FRII.II, and a FR II.III :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
              X