idenifaction help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idenifaction help!

i finally pulled this guitar out of my closet, its been sitting for a while. i picked it up at a garage sale about 5 years ago for 20 bucks, because it didn't work. i opened it up and realized that it only needed to have 1 wire reattached to work. i got it working again and started looking on the net trying to find out more info on the guitar. i think i've narrowed it down and was hoping i could get a conformation. if i'm not correct, then i'm hoping for someone to tell me what it is.

i think it is a model 1-c made in japan in 1988. with jackson J-90C humbucker, two J-100 single coils, a basswood body, maple neck/fret board bolt on, 5 way toggle, 1 volume/ 1 tone knob and vintage tremolo. if this is true then i've already gathered all the info i've need except for a couple of things. like what was the list price for this guitar in '88? and is it worth putting any money into? the reason why i ask is, after i put new strings on it. i noticed it has major fret buzz. i don't know how to really adjust the bridge or neck, so i'll probably have to pay someone to do it. plus i don't even know if that will fix the problem. (any opinions or advice on a self fix for the buzz would be greatly appreciated.)

below are some pics. the plate on the neck came out blurry but it has a fort worth address and the sn is 303225. if any of the info i said about this guitar is not right. then please tell me and give me the correct info, this also would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

david

Yup Model 1c.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by david1980 View Post
      like what was the list price for this guitar in '88?
      Dunno. Probably a lot more than $20
      and is it worth putting any money into?
      Well, that's a tough question. Do you like the guitar? Will it be used a lot or do you have way too many guitars like I do? reason why I ask is that I scored a project Model 4 last week. I love guitars, but have over 30 and it's just getting to be too much. If you don't have a strat type of guitar (V-trem with a maple fretboard and some singles) this is a good axe to fill the void with. Get a push/pull pot to split the humbucker as well.
      (any opinions or advice on a self fix for the buzz would be greatly appreciated.)
      thanks

david
      Yes. If you are going to have a bunch of guitars, you better start learning how to do the work yourself. Get Dan Erlewine's book "How to make you guitar play great" and possible the "Guitar Repair Guide".

Comment

Best thing if it's been sitting like that without strings for a long time would be to leave it with strings on (probably tuned a bit sharp) for a few days. Guitars without strings develop a backbow because the neck is setup to counteract the force of the strings pulling forward. Any fine tuning of the truss rod after that is fairly easy. You can probably find a guide by doing a search on the Tech forums here.
        My gear
        87 Charvel Model 6
        86 Charvel Model 4
        93 Jackson RR EX
        93 Jackson Kelly STD
        88 Ibanez RG560
        99 Schecter Diamond C-7
        Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

Yep, definitely a 1C. Nice score for $20. I have two of them and one in the same color as yours. IIRC the 1C went for around $550.00 new.

Comment

i think it is a model 1-c made in japan in 1988.
            How did you know 1988?

BTW I concur because of the high ser #
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
              How did you know 1988?

BTW I concur because of the high ser #

i searched a few websites for info. the one that pretty much locked it up for me was.

and i think this is an original ad, although it doesn't show the list price.

plus this site helped me with identify the logos and what not.

Great site full of information about Charvel guitars, along with plenty of pictures!

Comment

It is my understanding that they only made the 1C in 1988. Pretty sure I'm in the ballpark on the orginal MSRP although I could be talking out my ass as usual.

Comment

Working...
                X