Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of locking nut does my Model II have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of locking nut does my Model II have?

OK, I know its a Kahler style, but is there a specific size or anything that I should worry about when I order a new one? This one's pretty much fried.

Thats the current one right there, where could I find one exactly like it? or at least similar to it?

Whammy Parts sells current and vintage guitar parts.

Last edited by Tricky; 03-16-2010, 12:19 AM.
    Models
    The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
    I dont need furniture.
    If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
    If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
    And rock that sucker.

Comment

Why do you want to order a new one? are the plates worn? you can buy those separately.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        Why do you want to order a new one? are the plates worn? you can buy those separately.
        The plates are missing on the 3rd lock and there's one missing on the second block...idk how that happened, but they're gone. Where can I buy the plates?

Comment

Hmm...I was about to recommend Dave (Budman68). He used to have them, but apparently he no longer does:

http://www.fretsonthenet.com/hardwar...ocking_Plates_

Comment

Whammy Parts sells current and vintage guitar parts.

Or eBay.
            Models
            The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
            I dont need furniture.
            If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
            If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
            And rock that sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              Some times its better to get the whole unit, 40 free shipping for the whole thing 15. for the blocks. screws could be stripped,top on the unit might be worn also. but if you by the whole thing try the blocks if they work save the rest for spare parts! its a win win! but the newer ones are better
              I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Replace it with a real Kahler one. The one posted was the type accompanying the JT-6 trem and is made from the same soft metal. Even if u replace the locking plates, the strings inevitable place deep grooves in the housing which prevent the strings to lock. This does happen to kahlers too, but nowhere as fast.

Check ebay. Some vendors sell decent ones for less than $20 shipped. Not sure if made by Kahler, but I've used them and they're good. The mounting screws are a hair narrower on Kahlers, but you can shoehorn it on there.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                  Replace it with a real Kahler one. The one posted was the type accompanying the JT-6 trem and is made from the same soft metal. Even if u replace the locking plates, the strings inevitable place deep grooves in the housing which prevent the strings to lock. This does happen to kahlers too, but nowhere as fast.

Check ebay. Some vendors sell decent ones for less than $20 shipped. Not sure if made by Kahler, but I've used them and they're good. The mounting screws are a hair narrower on Kahlers, but you can shoehorn it on there.
                  Alright guys, whole new locking nut it is, thank you for all of your help, I really appreciate it

Comment

It's not a locking nut though. Strictly speaking, it's a string lock, and you use it in conjunction with a non-locking nut.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                      It's not a locking nut though. Strictly speaking, it's a string lock, and you use it in conjunction with a non-locking nut.
                      Technicalities, technicalities

Comment

Well it does matter when you order parts to know which part to tell them so you don't look like an ass.Check down in the truss rod cavity the one in the middle sometimes falls down in there.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                          Well it does matter when you order parts to know which part to tell them so you don't look like an ass.
                          Or sound like one. Brapppp!
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                          X