Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JT-6 non OFR / Schaller alternatives ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT-6 non OFR / Schaller alternatives ???

Hey everyone -

I've got a Model 6 with the JT-6 and am looking to replace it with a Kahler 2-point trem, preferably the 2710 Killer or possibly the 2720 Spyder. :idea:

Just checking on the knowledge base here to see if anyone has done this swap, and if there were any issues / snags involved, i.e. stud spacing.

Thanks, really enjoying the site. Regards, Paul

Ah, most people would be trying to do the opposite (replace the Kahler with a Floyd) since the Kahler has been discontinued for a long time, and the parts can be difficult or impossible to find.

If you don't mind me asking, why not just put a Floyd Rose on it? :think:

Comment

[QUOTE If you don't mind me asking, why not just put a Floyd Rose on it? :think:[/QUOTE]

Not a fan of Floyd's in general, and the Killer appears to be more linear, at least aesthetically. Purely personal preference. Plus, the Floyd has been eclipsed by the Edge III and the ZR, IMHO. I like my guitars to have my own mark on them.

It's come down to either a Kahler product or filling / refinishing and a metamorphosis into a hardtail. I would prefer to spare myself the additional trouble of this transformation, but I would be ultimately happier with the guitar as a working instrument. Bought my first "6" in '86, hence the love I display for Kahler products in general. The only mod I made to that guitar was a flip lock nut, which I am now scouring the earth for

Surely someone in this vast oasis of knowledge has made this swap.

Thanks, and regards - Paul

Comment

Hey, everyone - don't all crowd in here at once

Lurked for quite a spell before posting, don't tell me all you Einstein's
        out there in cyberspace have zero experience with the mod I proposed
        in the initial post.....or is this some type of frat boy clique posturing to
        ignore the posts from the newb

Not embarrassed in the least to seek knowledge, that's why I'm here.

Thanks, again.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulG View Post
          Hey, everyone - don't all crowd in here at once

Lurked for quite a spell before posting, don't tell me all you Einstein's
          out there in cyberspace have zero experience with the mod I proposed
          in the initial post.....or is this some type of frat boy clique posturing to
          ignore the posts from the newb

Not embarrassed in the least to seek knowledge, that's why I'm here.

Thanks, again.
          Like he mentioned above, this isn't a popular mod. Floyd's are just as good and can be had more easily as well as maintained for cheaper. Since the Kahler Floyd copies were never really that great, no one really cares to slap them on. You might have more luck with Schaller replacement, although it comes to about the same thing. An old Gotoh bridge might be good food for thought.

Comment

I replaced a Fender type trem with a Spyder about 20 years ago. I wouldn't do this swap again. The post spacing is wider for the Spyder than for an OFR or LFR. Are you buying the Kahler NOS?

I'd take the lack of response to your topic to indicate people here have little experience in the swap you are considering. If you need the actual post spacing I can measure it later, but you should pm me since I probably won't see this thread again in the current topics section.

Comment

Make sure that the posts line up, one of those 2 kahlers fits ane one doesn't. good luck finding one and good luck finding the parts if when it needs them(and they will).

Comment

The Killer definitely won't fit. It has very narrow post spacing, and was designed to be able to replace their non-locking fulcrum trems. The best licensed floyd Kahler made was the Steeler. It was a great trem, but it will be next to impossible to find one.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses, I was starting to get lonely

And yes, there is a NOS 2710 at my disposal, in black too.

As I value the opinions of people with more technical expertise than myself
                  looks like the black 6 gets a hardtail. I don't use the trem much as it is, and
                  the only ones I ever liked the action on were the Kahler pro and the one on
                  my Jaguar. I've seen a couple of 6's with strings through and that just might
                  be the ticket. The guitar has been bastardized already with EMG's (ugh), so
                  I won't feel so bad about plugging it up. It will require refinishing, and allow
                  me to scrap the locking nut and Jackson tuners. I can also reconfigure it to
                  H/S/H passive, which has long been a desire of mine.

Regards to all - keep picking.

Comment

looks like the black 6 gets a hardtail
                    Might not work too well. Its neck is tilted back for the non-recessed Floyd, so a fixed bridge will have to have its saddles higher off the body. I'd just block the JT6 so it can't move.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+1 I agree totally with toejam.

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Might not work too well. Its neck is tilted back for the non-recessed Floyd, so a fixed bridge will have to have its saddles higher off the body. I'd just block the JT6 so it can't move.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        ...a fixed bridge will have to have its saddles higher off the body. I'd just block the JT6 so it can't move.

I was thinking about a Tune-O-Matic / Stop Bar or T.O.M. / String Through type setup more than a Gotoh / Fender type hardtail. I've seen it on a few Jacksons so I assumed the task would be straightforward...thanks for the heads-up on the neck angle thing. This is getting to be a bit confusing to a simple guitarist so it looks like I'll have to hunt down an '86 model and put the black one out to pasture.

Thanks again for the tip, I never considered the angle but upon inspection I see what you mean.

Comment

And yes, there is a NOS 2710 at my disposal, in black too.
                          I have a Spyder so the information I can give you might not apply. According to Kahler's site there is some variation between his different fulcrum trem models. I pm'd you just in case.

Comment

Have you thought about selling the Model 6 with the JT6, and buying
                            an 86 Model 5 or 6 that already has a 2300. I see them up for sale fairly often.

It would save you a whole lot of hassle trying to convert something that might not work out.
                            And once done, if you don't like, the resale value is gone.

If you really like the 2710, it will fit right up to an 86 model 2 or 3. Bolt on neck though.
                            Models
                            The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                            I dont need furniture.
                            If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                            If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                            And rock that sucker.

Comment

Here is Budmans M6 restoration, he made it a hardtail. Fantastic reading, very informative, but more importantly, talks about making a hardtail of it if your interested. I think I'd find Kahler guitar and do the swap that way though, fill and drill is best left up to pros or those who don't mind screwing up a good axe to learn something. If you go with it, progress pics are expected, and good luck in your endeavors.
                              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                              X