Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JT-6 non OFR / Schaller alternatives ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping to a TOM... with all the woodwork required the bridge could be countersunk like Carvin does to eliminate the need for neck angle couldn't it?

Personally I'd leave the JT-6 or a Schaller/OFR on it and install a tremol-no. I just couldn't bring myself to "deface" (IMO anyway) such a sweet axe as a model 6.
    |My CSG gallery|
    (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Yeah, keep in mind in Budman's case that guitar was stripped improperly and pretty well ruined before he ever started on it.

This reminds me of when I was a kid, and guys would cut a hole in the hood of a '53 Corvette for a blower. There are guys who would shoot you for doing that, now.

I mean, not that a Model 6 is worth thousands in pristine condition but, I think most of us would rather not see one potentially butchered in an attempt to put a recessed TOM/string-through setup on it.

Comment

Contrary to a lot of you, I don't value MIJ guitars as collectibles, I regard them as working tools and intend them to be functional and reliable, no matter the trouble or cost associated with their modification. I primarily use RG type guitars, and to me they epitomize the best of those qualities. Don't get me wrong- the model 6 is every bit as good as my J-Crafts are. I view the customization of this guitar as an improvement to suit my tastes, and I believe the market presently undervalues these guitars. And I respect that the majority believes the model 6's of the universe should remained unmolested. The one in question is black (ugh), has EMG's (ugh x2) and seems to be a prime candidate for something new. If it were a bone stock '86 in Black Cherry, this post would have never originated, to be sure.

Thanks everyone, you've got me reconsidering everything Keep picking.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
          This reminds me of when I was a kid, and guys would cut a hole in the hood of a '53 Corvette for a blower. There are guys who would shoot you for doing that, now.

I know it's off topic, but you can't have seen too many 53's with cut hoods, let alone without them. Only 300 built .

Contrary to a lot of you, I don't value MIJ guitars as collectibles, I regard them as working tools and intend them to be functional and reliable, no matter the trouble or cost associated with their modification. I primarily use RG type guitars, and to me they epitomize the best of those qualities. Don't get me wrong- the model 6 is every bit as good as my J-Crafts are. I view the customization of this guitar as an improvement to suit my tastes, and I believe the market presently undervalues these guitars. And I respect that the majority believes the model 6's of the universe should remained unmolested. The one in question is black (ugh), has EMG's (ugh x2) and seems to be a prime candidate for something new. If it were a bone stock '86 in Black Cherry, this post would have never originated, to be sure.

Thanks everyone, you've got me reconsidering everything Keep picking.
          Well said. I'd say go for it. I don't agree with your MIJ statement. Well maybe with the Jackson/Charvels, but you have Ibanez's and therefore you know that for their case the cheaper stuff is produced in Korea and the high qualities from the current team j 1570 to the high end J customs are all japanese, and they are finely built instruments. No doubt about that. I would match a J custom against a USA Jackson any day, and it would be a tough choice. I have a bigger love for J customs though as they are kind of exclusive around these parts, since the majority of them can only be bought from japan, but that's still just a question of opinion. Anyways keep us posted if you do anything to it!!

Comment

Originally posted by PaulG View Post
            I was thinking about a Tune-O-Matic / Stop Bar or T.O.M. / String Through type setup more than a Gotoh / Fender type hardtail. I've seen it on a few Jacksons so I assumed the task would be straightforward...thanks for the heads-up on the neck angle thing. This is getting to be a bit confusing to a simple guitarist so it looks like I'll have to hunt down an '86 model and put the black one out to pasture.

I agree. Get an '86 model 6, and rid of the floyded one. You'll likly save some bux as ususally the Kahler flatmount ones go for less.
            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
            X