Jt6/schaller/ofr swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jt6/schaller/ofr swap

I know this has been talked about many many times and most of you will tell me just to do a search but I want first had experances with the swaps. Is the schaller the same spacing as the ofr which is better out of the two? The schaller's seem to be cheaper priced, how or the Korean made ones that come on the new usa chavel's I know I will need the frets on the net studs. But will the action be the same as the jt6 or will I have to shim the neck forward I do not want to sacrafice playabilty just to but a good trem. Can any body post some pics of your swap and tell me how it came out or post a link to some pics of one. The reason I am so spectabal is that I got a model off of the bay and is played like shit and the neck was major shimed needless to sat I sent it back, and it left a bad tast in my mouth about the swap I plan on doing it to my model 4m it's not in colector condition so I would not mind trying things out like putting all emg's in it ect.
    2009 black sl1 usa
    fire crackle 3dr dead mint(flawless!!)
    Burgundy mist model 3
    black model 1 emg
    black model 3 h/s/s
    2005 pointy charvel
    2009 black rr1

A OFR is a direct swap for a JT6. Without changing the studs you get about 95% of the movement you have with the JT6. If you need the extra 5%, Dave's studs are great. On my Model 6 I swapped the studs with Dave's, and swapped my JT6 with a '94 JT580LP (squared off baseplate like the OFR) and it also was a direct swap. With an OFR (and the JT580LP I did) you may have to route/file out the trem bar side of the guitar route a bit as the mount under the baseplate may hit it slightly. And i'm not positive but I think the Schaller/JT590 is not a direct fit but I've never tried it.

Just some possible info on what may have been the problem with the one that left a bad taste in your mouth, the Model 4 and 6 (neckthrough) have a non-recessed trem so the neck is angled back more to compensate. I don't know what model you had but if it was a mutt or had different parts on it, someone may have put shims in it to just make it work with whatever was on the guitar. The 4's and 6's are great guitars and I think you'll ne very happy!

Photobucket's down right now so no pics.... sorry.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Thank man for taking the time to write unlike the other dicks on hear who just wnt to critizie everything you say. but the model 4 is a bolt on
      2009 black sl1 usa
      Burgundy mist model 3
      black model 1 emg
      black model 3 h/s/s
      2005 pointy charvel
      2009 black rr1

Comment

The model 6 is the same thing as a model 4 but with neckthrough, sharkies, and binding. But the base structure of the guitar is the same. The neck is tilted back to compensate for the non-recessed trem. Here's the album with my Model 6 build. The first pics are the finished pics. I know you want an OFR but you can see it with the JT580LP if you are interested. It's after the modifications but the guitar is not structurally changed... http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...xes/Model%206/

Comment

That's a bad ass mod 6 I like how you kept the jap logo insted of a USA one
          2009 black sl1 usa
          Burgundy mist model 3
          black model 1 emg
          black model 3 h/s/s
          2005 pointy charvel
          2009 black rr1

Comment

Thanks man. I wanted to keep the same logo it had, not to mention I like the pointy logo more than the 3+3 one anyway. I never fully finished the polishing and the push/pull vol pot crapped out so I'll be rewiring soon. Gonna take it all back apart and finish the polishing when I wire it.

Comment

i dont know how i missed this for months. i see the maple cap also covers the other control holes. nice work. so a jt580lp works too eh? maybe i'll be cheap and go that route.

Comment

Gorgeous Model 6 and looks like great work!

You should really start a thread with this...it will get lost in here and no one will see it.

Comment

jdr94 - When I routed the top for the maple, it happened to work out that the thickness I took off was exactly the same amount as was there for the controls. So there was a gaping hole for the control cavity. Then just drilled what I wanted for the new controls in the maple.. And yes, the LP works perfect. I actually like these 1994 JT580LP's with the squared OFR style plate better than OFR's. I have 2 and I like the way they feel under my hand.

MarkThomas - I had a thread when I did it 2 years ago.. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/100......?highlight=

Comment

Interesting, so im guessing the standard jt580 would work just as well no?

Comment

I assume they had the same post spacing.. so it should..

Comment

So put a 42mm block on right? Will the brass big block work?
                        2009 black sl1 usa
                        Burgundy mist model 3
                        black model 1 emg
                        black model 3 h/s/s
                        2005 pointy charvel
                        2009 black rr1

Comment

Originally posted by djford View Post
                          So put a 42mm block on right? Will the brass big block work?
                          Yes on the 42 mm. Never tried the big block, but I *think* it should work...but likely not the really big block with the additional L-shaped piece or whatever it is to increase the mass.
                          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                          X