Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing the JT-6 to OFR Conversion: Chrome vs. Black? (Durability)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing the JT-6 to OFR Conversion: Chrome vs. Black? (Durability)

So, I'm ordering the OFR bridge to swap into my Model 4 today or tomorrow, but before I pull the trigger I want to get some input.

Of course, my JT-6 is black and part of me wants to get a black OFR to keep the same aesthetic. However, I was reading some about the bridges and people were saying the chrome finish is the most durable and might even have some tonal advantages.

Can anyone give me some input on this? I'll be happy with either, but I just want to make sure I'm getting the best for my money.

I think black hardware looks cooler then chrome. However, I've seen more worn black oxide finishes then chrome. If I'm not mistaken chrome is harder and will generally resist wear better. Tonally, I would doubt theres a difference, the base metal on the OFR is still steel, B.O. or chrome is just a finish. It's not like changing the sustain block from steel to brass were it's a completely different material, with its own tonal charcteristics.

Comment

I like black hardware over chrome too. I dropped two OFR on my two Model 2's several years ago and they have held up great.

Comment

I say go with the black OFR.
        I've seen many pitted, rusting, chrome trems.
        You can always refin, or touch up a black trem. Not so easy with chrome.
        Models
        The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
        I dont need furniture.
        If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
        If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
        And rock that sucker.

Comment

Great points. Alright, I wanted the black bridge and you guys made me feel comfortable buying it. OFR here I come. Thanks!

Comment

The trick with Chrome is to lightly steel wool it as soon as you see a hint of corrosion.

Good choice on the black trem.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
            X