What's a good price for a Model 5a?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a good price for a Model 5a?

It's an 1987 model, (I say that because of the tremolo, I don't know the EXACT year, but I guess I should), with the single humbucker at the bridge, blah blah you guys know the details with this one.

It's in really good condition, save for some LIGHT scratches and I think I saw some swirls. The pickup itself is confusing me though...

The logo looks brand new, usually when I see them, the logo seems a little... Faded. Ontop of that, it doesn't have the active preamp.

Does anyone know how much this would be worth without seeing pics? (I'll get some tomorrow). The guy wants $950 for it, although I don't think he knows anything about it. I was going to try and trade my B.C. Rich for it and maybe some money. Any thoughts?

Somewhere around $500 is about right for one of those. $950 is way too much, Canadian or US. They were only made in '88, afaik. The 5A & 5FX didn't have the active electronics.
    Last edited by dg; 06-07-2010, 06:31 PM.

Comment

I paid $350 for mine... granted it had no hardware, but still.
      $950 is stupid high. You can get a decent used SL1 for that kind of money.
      -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        Somewhere around $500 is about right for one of those. $950 is way too much, Canadian or US. They were only made in '88, afaik. The 5A & 5FX didn't have the active electronics.
        Ah really? That was going to be my main argument for a cheaper price Thanks for all the info, I'll see if I can use that info to sway it my way.

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        I paid $350 for mine... granted it had no hardware, but still.
        $950 is stupid high. You can get a decent used SL1 for that kind of money.
        Still a good price.

Comment

$500 still seems too high to me.

Comment

Maybe the guy figures he should be able to get what they sold for new from it...
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Apparently the guy bought it for $850 and wants at least $50 profit

He said he'll call me tomorrow with a price. I'm going to offer him my B.C. Rich (worth at LEAST $250) and $200 on top, maybe even $300. But that's it.

And yes, this is from a store

Comment

Some dings and a chipped headstock, with a Buy It Now of 29800yen ($325US, $340Canadian) including shipping...

Yahoo!??????????????????????????????????????????????????????Yahoo!???????????????????????????????
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumRider View Post
                  Some dings and a chipped headstock, with a Buy It Now of 29800yen ($325US, $340Canadian) including shipping...

http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/131562214
                  Thanks for the reply, but the only way I could get that is if somebody would buy my B.C. Rich. I love that colour though.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadMat View Post
                    And yes, this is from a store
                    If a store bought it for $850 - they're fucking idiots. No store would offer that much. They probably took it as a trade with a value of no more than $200 - $250. He's lying to you. Walk away.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      $500 still seems too high to me.
                      Prices have gone up in the past few years, but of course you're right insofar as what you want to pay is what it's worth. But I've seen Model 2s go for $450 recently, so in that context $500 for a neckthrough Model 5A is reasonable. Of course if you look and wait long enough maybe you can still make a score.
                      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                        If a store bought it for $850 - they're fucking idiots. No store would offer that much. They probably took it as a trade with a value of no more than $200 - $250. He's lying to you. Walk away.

I really really hope he's lying, but he knew absolutely nothing about my guitar I was going to trade, and the Charvel, so I don't think he is.

Comment

So I spoke with one very helpful guy, and got him down to $400 and my guitar, (my guitar has been getting offers of $250, so I'm paying a little bit more than what it's worth, but I think it's worth it in the end). I think with the exchange rate, shipping, and border fees I'm paying a little over $50 too much, but whatever gets me through the night

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          I spoke to one of the guys, (who's been on my side, and helped me make the deal in the end), and apparently the District Attorney of Windsor (my city) flat out said it was worth $850 at least, so he just gave him that.
                          Last edited by MetalHeadMat; 06-09-2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X