No announcement yet.

Charvel 750 XL value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't disagree with anything Newc posted, and I've played plenty of great basswood guitars, but in the specific case of the 750XL, the "basswood issue" has not been blown out of proportion, imo. The catalog says the guitars are made from mahogany with a maple top, then goes on a big spiel about how great that classic combo of woods is with set-neck construction and how awesome it is that they are using it in a super-strat shape, etc., etc. Then, right here on this forum, we had some guys note how their solid-color 750s didn't have the tone they had gotten from their trans-finished models, and in a few cases were outright tone dogs. Sure, it happens with guitars of all types of wood, but there was a flurry of complaints, and they all were solid-color models. Then a couple years later somebody stripped one & found out it was basswood. Then a couple more guys did the same, and afaik no solid-color 750 has been shown to be made of mahogany. That's a big deal, because these things have gotten pretty hot in the used market, and the only authority most sellers will go by is the catalog.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
      I don't disagree with anything Newc posted, and I've played plenty of great basswood guitars, .............. That's a big deal, because these things have gotten pretty hot in the used market, and the only authority most sellers will go by is the catalog.
      Yeah,ya gotta be pissed when you get something different than what you have been led to believe and you feel like you've been "short-changed" and basically lied to.......anyone with common sense can see that.

Okay.......

1-Basswood guitars are just fine with the right pick up combo
      2-it sucks to be lied to

..........agreed!

seeing how these are hard to find in mint form,I'm gonna tell my Ins co the replacement value is $1200 for an exact specimen.......I have looked at ebay auctions and documented sales of solid color -trem'd 750 xls to derive this value...........am i on the right page????

and once again........where a good spot for an intro thread?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JJDK View Post
        Yeah,ya gotta be pissed when you get something different than what you have been led to believe and you feel like you've been "short-changed" and basically lied to.......anyone with common sense can see that.

Okay.......

1-Basswood guitars are just fine with the right pick up combo
        2-it sucks to be lied to

..........agreed!

seeing how these are hard to find in mint form,I'm gonna tell my Ins co the replacement value is $1200 for an exact specimen.......I have looked at ebay auctions and documented sales of solid color -trem'd 750 xls to derive this value...........am i on the right page????

and once again........where a good spot for an intro thread?

Thanks
        It's a nice axe, and as long as you don't go overboard it's better to be over rather than under insured. $1200 sounds reasonable.

For an intro thread I'd use "non jackson charvel talk" at the bottom of the forum list.

Welcome aboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
          It's a nice axe, and as long as you don't go overboard it's better to be over rather than under insured. $1200 sounds reasonable.

For an intro thread I'd use "non jackson charvel talk" at the bottom of the forum list.

Welcome aboard.
          Thank you on all counts!

and I'm glad this was moved to the right section(cool)

Comment

JJDK

congrats on scoring a lovely guitar, and welcome !

( never thought I'd be saying THAT ! lmao )

T

Comment

Originally posted by Tim_B View Post
              JJDK

congrats on scoring a lovely guitar, and welcome !

( never thought I'd be saying THAT ! lmao )

T
              I bet you didn't with about 15,000 post of mine floating around the internet,being a noob here is actually halarious LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

..........and thanks mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                The basswood issue has been blown waaaay out of proportion thanks to places like Hondo and Arbor using lower-quality basswood in the 80s. As with all things, there's good and bad. So many companies were using bad basswood (and thus able to get their inferior products to market cheaper) that basswood became synonymous with shit.
                Let me start off with saying that one of my lifelong keepers is my Fender HM Strat made of basswood. I love this guitar so much I bought another one a couple of weeks ago, but haven't played it yet because it was in pieces.

That said, you yourself just said there is good basswood and shit basswood. I agree. Until I hear it, I assume it is the shit wood. With the mahogany 750XLs I can see what I'm getting.

I still think $750 to $1000 is more than fair for a solid color 750XL.
                Last edited by DonP; 06-14-2010, 08:41 AM.

Comment

I still think $750 to $1000 is more than fair for a solid color 750XL.
                  And what about a see through (one piece mahagony body) 750 XL ?

BTW this one looks great.I always like white solid colors with black hardware
                  Guitars: Jackson KE-1, JRS-1, SL-1 / Charvel 750XL / Gibson Les Paul Standard

Comment

Shit, I need to bump my listiing here. if an fucking import is getting 1000-1200 ^_^
                    Last edited by john.w.lawson; 06-29-2010, 10:10 AM.
                    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

good god that thing is clean!!!!
                      congrats!!! and welcome aboard.
                      If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by kmanick View Post
                        good god that thing is clean!!!!
                        congrats!!! and welcome aboard.
                        THANKS!!!

Update:.....I have enjoyed over 60 hrs of playing and I STILL have only tuned it 4 times!!!! With over 60 guitars in the collection,this guitar was sooooo clean and "different" that keeping it was the only "sane" plan.I have had some really talented players visit and all of them have all said that the guitar had that "something" to it.This guitar through 5150 modeling amps/processors just plain kills!!!!To be impressed would be an understatement.......The other thing is that I work on sooooo many guitars and its nice to have one that needs NOTHING!!!

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by HOTRIFF View Post
                            And what about a see through (one piece mahagony body) 750 XL ?
                            I don't know. I'm just glad I have one. They are very nice guitars.

Comment

I just received the confirmation Email ..........
                              guitar
                              Add to ContactsTo:[email protected]

Yes, the letter with this Charvel guitar is from me and is authentic. Thank you for asking, and for purchasing the guitar!

Comment

NEWC +1 350+ tops.
                                Is is not a flame top nor the thicker body version of the flamtop 750's. Nice guitar, but the flame tops are more in=demand so called.
                                You don't have a gold mine there with this import, but you do have a very nice guitar. congrat on it

Comment

Working...
                                X