No announcement yet.

Charvel 750 XL value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice top on that one Don. That is a guitar that I would never let go, assuming it plays half as good as it looks.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      Nice top on that one Don. That is a guitar that I would never let go, assuming it plays half as good as it looks.
      Oh it does. I play a lot of UFO / MSG with this one. Those pictures are when it had the Mayhem set. The Mayhem set was just too much output / too hot in this axe (the guitar has a lot of natural power being set neck / string thru). I downshifted to a Full Shred set and it rips. The switch is a Mega E 5 way, and when in the center (one coil from each pickup) you can pull the tone to get a Peter Green out of phase tone.

Comment

Don,

You own the nicest example I've ever seen. Mind sharing the whole story about how and when you acquired it?

I always find the hunt/chase/find stories fascinating.

Mitch
        AxeD
        Mitch
        AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

I had a beautiful one w/ floyd back in the day. It had a very heavy, silver "metalflake"..or whatever it was called. It looked like shiny, silver glitter. I never seen another one like it. It was exactly like the white example above with that finish. I traded it for a mint Mesa Boogie MKIII. that for much more than I had into the axe. Ironically, I flipped itfor a SWEET red early 80's Marshall 50wt JCM800 half stack in red, like Don's cool orange fucker. For some strange reason it was the loudest head I've EVER owned. I sold that for good coin.

Things seem to work out at the time. But both (Charvel & Marshall) are the very pieces I'll always miss letting go.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by modelseriesman View Post
            Don,

You own the nicest example I've ever seen. Mind sharing the whole story about how and when you acquired it?

I always find the hunt/chase/find stories fascinating.

Mitch
            AxeD
            Mitch,

I'm afraid there's not much to tell. Travis (can't remember his handle on here) put it up for sale here in the Classifieds in June 2006 and I was the first asshat to click the "I'll take it right now no questions asked" button. Travis was deep into Hamer's and was going that direction.

From what I gather, this axe made the rounds thru a few members. Model 88 (Mike) might have had it at one time too.

I bought it unloaded (no pickups) and first tried a Mayhem set. I think the location of the bridge pickup being fairly far away from the bridge allows it to have a lot of string vibration at for that pickup, which equates to a lot of power. The Duncan Distortion was just too brutal for me, I needed to tone it down a notch.

I did some research and saw the Full Shred set was designed for short scale, set neck, fix bridge guitars made of mahogany, and it was a perfect fit. Sounds like a fatter Les Paul. Some people say the FS sounds thin, but in this axe it has plenty of chunk. Can belt out old school Metallica, like Jump in the Fire.

With the Mega E in the 2 or 4 positions (coils split), the Full Shreds sound very stratty (moreso than a split JB) and can pull off Blackmore and Hendrix stuff (I did say "Nail" I said "Pull off").

Easily one of my most versatile axes.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              I had a beautiful one w/ floyd back in the day. It had a very heavy, silver "metalflake"..or whatever it was called. It looked like shiny, silver glitter. I never seen another one like it. It was exactly like the white example above with that finish. I traded it for a mint Mesa Boogie MKIII. that for much more than I had into the axe. Ironically, I flipped itfor a SWEET red early 80's Marshall 50wt JCM800 half stack in red, like Don's cool orange fucker. For some strange reason it was the loudest head I've EVER owned. I sold that for good coin.

Things seem to work out at the time. But both (Charvel & Marshall) are the very pieces I'll always miss letting go.
              I forget the name of that finish as well but it's just awesome. I'd love to score an axe in that color.

Oh, and I know you hate DSL's but this one really does sound good. I've heard plenty of used ones in stores that sound like crap. If you were closer (or ever pass by Cinci) you are welcome to try it. This amp combined with this guitar makes it into VH territory:

Last edited by DonP; 09-12-2011, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X