Back in te Import Forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in te Import Forum?

Couldn't pass up the deal on a black Model 3A. Pretty rough around the edges and modded with some phase switches, but it's also got an old black Floyd already on it, a new string lock and a decent fret dress. Now to deep six the wimpy Jacko pickups for - wait for it - Super Distortions and I'll have a serious beater here.

Yeah yeah - pics to follow.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Welcome back to import land. Sounds like a fun little beater and I look forward to the pics.

Comment

Well got it home and there's a few more issues than I realized at the store. Plays and sounds great, but this sucker will need some TLC.

- Chunk of the pointy tip busted off - typical and only bothers me when I look at it.
      - Back strap pin was relocated a couple times so there's a few extra holes.
      - Bridge pickup ring is a replacement. Doesn't fit right - need to give Budman a call for some sweet replacements
      - the string lock doesn't look like the Kahle units I'm familiar with - so I'll change it out for something NOS
      - The truss rod cover's not original - again, a call to Budman should fix that up

Other than that the guitar plays and sounds pretty good. I like the hum - hum setup a whole lot better than the HSS setup on other Model series axes.
      Blank yo!

Comment

Where are the PICS man?

Comment

Calm down, Jazzy. I'm working on it. Where are the pics of the white ghost flame soloist? That's like obtaining pics of the Sasquatch.
          Blank yo!

Comment

I don't have it yet!

Comment

OK - pics:

And video!

Blank yo!

Comment

Rust in Peace
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

That's some quality lumber you got there...

Comment

I'm always swinging lumber.
                    Blank yo!

Comment

The string lock looks like the one from the '86 Kahler Fulcrum I fitted to my old & abused Strat copy back in the day. The reamed-out Allen bolts have made string changing a pain in the arse for about the last decade or so...
                      Model 3
                      Model 5A
                      Model 3B
                      Journeyman
                      Custom Shop San Dimas s/n 8511

Comment

I dig it. Doesn't look bad for a beater at all. I've got some beaters that will never be photograped or taken outside the house. I'd be too embarassed.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveK View Post
                          The string lock looks like the one from the '86 Kahler Fulcrum
                          Looks like, but its not. I've had the Kahler built string locks in the past, but this is the Jackson version that went with the JT6 Trem. The parts aren't interchangable between the two string locks. IMO - the Kahler would be superior based on the build quality.

Either way - I'm having a Floyd nut fitted so I can get away from the whole behind the nut luck idiocy.
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                            Looks like, but its not. I've had the Kahler built string locks in the past, but this is the Jackson version that went with the JT6 Trem. The parts aren't interchangable between the two string locks. IMO - the Kahler would be superior based on the build quality.

Either way - I'm having a Floyd nut fitted so I can get away from the whole behind the nut luck idiocy.
                            Yes, that is the Taiwan-made version, just someone swapped out the slotted screws for the allen screw heads. Looks like a great axe to me overall. My main player is a pink...err burgundy mist 3A body paired to a 4A neck - the one with sharkies, also with an OFR. I swapped the locking nut for a real Kahler one.
                            "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                              My main player is a pink...err burgundy mist 3A body paired to a 4A neck - the one with sharkies, also with an OFR. I swapped the locking nut for a real Kahler one.
                              Yeh - I can't say I would have pulled the trigger if this one was any color other than black. It just looked good to me.

I'm going to have the neck painted black and a Floyd nut added to it. Gotta take a wire brush and some WD40 to some of the Floyd parts to get them moving easily.
                              Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                              X