Overhauled Model 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overhauled Model 5

My girlfriend got this for me for my birthday last year. Bone stock but in nice shape other than some swirling & hazing. Stripped everything off it, polished it 5 or 6 times with automotive scratch remover & man did it come out nice! Replaced the stock pickups with a Duncan JB & 59, put a new OFR in place of the JT-6, added a brass block to the Floyd, & D-Tuna and a trem stopper from Floyd Upgrades. Replaced the 5 way switch with a 3 way. Installed new pickup rings, posts for the Floyd & anodized aluminum covers on the back all from Frets on the Net (can't say enough good things about Dave's parts). Just running a single volume & tone control, the third is a dummy. This things plays as nice as my USA Solists and has a really nice well balanced tone.

That looks like a brand new guitar, and a sweet one at that. Congratulations!

I never tried the neck through models, but I adore the Model series guitars I've owned. That looks killer, can't say it enough!

I'm loving the JB in my DK2. Clear, punch, and balanced.

Comment

Nice work! Why not wire up the knobs for vol-vol-tone or vol-tone-tone though?

Comment

Outstanding work RL!
        I'd likely go V-V-T as Axewielder suggested, but if it works
        for you then it's all good.
        Last edited by Cygnus X1; 10-04-2010, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Looking pretty fuckin' fantastic right there!
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

I agree about the V-V-T. It would be cool to be able to adjust the volume on each pickup. I did that on some of my other guitars. Also, a Super 5 way E model switch is pretty awesome if you have 4 condutor wiring on both pickups.

Other than that, it looks pretty sweet.

I need to take the swirl remover to my black Model 4. Black really shows the scratches.

Comment

Thanks! I almost did V-V-T & someday may set it up that way but wanted to keep it simple. I never use the tone control & actually prefer just a single volume only, like the ProMods. The stock midboost control was pretty nice but I couldn't find a place where it sounded good clean & dirty. Was either too much or not enough & didn't want to be constantly riding it throughtout the night.

Comment

Working...
              X