New here and my first Charvel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here and my first Charvel

This is my first post here and i thought it was going to be the typical "what do i have" post but i think i figured it out. Please correct me if im wrong. I was at a yard sale this weekend and imediately noticed a guitar sitting there in a case. Trying not to look too excited i hurried over to check it out. I saw the pointy head stock and "Charvel" then the price and knew i had to have it. They were asking $100 for the guitar, case and a tiny Yamaha amp but still had to ask how low he would go. He said $75 and i had tom take the amp. Anyway, heres what i think i have. A 1989 Charvel model 650xl with a platinum finish. Am i even close? Of course, i know, everyone loves pictures.

Yep. Nice score.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

DUUUUUUUDE!! Charvel 650xl! Professional Series! $75 bucks!?!?! Deal of the century! I'd have paid over $600 bucks for that!

RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
      My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

Originally posted by savatage View Post
        DUUUUUUUDE!! Charvel 650xl! Professional Series! $75 bucks!?!?! Deal of the century! I'd have paid over $600 bucks for that!

So i take it it is a 650xl as i thought? I spent a whole day trying to figure out what it was and i got nowhere until finally stumbled across a video on you tube. I finally knew what to search for and determined thats what it was.

Comment

Major score!

Comment

Oh yeah, i forgot to mention, it does still need a little work. When i got it it only had two strings on it and was FILTHY but i took care of that after i determined that it did work. I didnt know it had active pickups when i got it. I plugged it in and i thought i bought a dead guitar until i opened it up and saw a battery in there. I still need to adjust the tremolo because it still doesnt sit quite level with propper string tension and i need to lower the action and set the intonation after all of that. I have never done all that to a guitar with a Floyd Rose style tremolo so im waiting until i have plenty of time to do it properly. I have donr it on Squiers so i know what to do, i just want to make sure i do it right on this guitar. I also need the locking pieces on the neck but i think i found some cheap ones to get me by. Either way, it is now playable and in much better shape than it was 48 hours ago.

Comment

Once you do enough of them, it will come naturally. I was in the studio most of the day yesterday and needed to change the tuning of my kelly a half step. Ive done so many that I was able to change the setup for a half step in roughly 5 minutes, give or take. Excellent score. Thats the kind of deal dreams are made of. Some of us will never get to experience that kind of sweet deal. Kudos and congrats!
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

75 bucks?! Bastid! Call the cops and FBI. That's gotta be the best steal on this forum. Congrats
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I really didnt expect that good of a deal. I knew nothing about Charvels and the guy i got it from owns other guitars and basses so i didnt think his asking price would be extremely low. To be honest, i was hesitant to what i did but i knew i couldnt get hurt at that price and i was hoping it would be the deal you usually dream of. Most guitars i buy are cheaper ones so i guess ill be holding onto this one for a very long time.

Comment

That very well might be the best playing guitar you'll ever have. It might only be worth a small amount in guitar terms but it'll play like a $5000 custom shop. By the way I believe that the 650xl had an msrp over $1000 back in 1989. I'd have paid $75 bucks for the hard case!
                    RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
                    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

assuming the neck and frets are good, anything else that might be wrong with it can be fixed pretty cheaply. I reckon you made out pretty good on that one.

welcome to the forum.
                      Hail yesterday

Comment

That's awesome. And I thought I got a good deal paying $360 for my Firecrackle USA.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                          assuming the neck and frets are good, anything else that might be wrong with it can be fixed pretty cheaply. I reckon you made out pretty good on that one.

welcome to the forum.
                          The neck and frets look to be in excellent shape. After cleaning it up i told one of my daughters that it looks like it spent most of its life in the case. The only real wear i see on it is the fine tuner on the E string. It looks like some of the black has worn off from use.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarzngunz View Post
                            I didnt know it had active pickups when i got it. I plugged it in and i thought i bought a dead guitar until i opened it up and saw a battery in there.
                            The pickups are passive. It's got some active electronic circuit in there such as a midboost or gainboost, but all of Jackson's pickups are passive.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              The pickups are passive. It's got some active electronic circuit in there such as a midboost or gainboost, but all of Jackson's pickups are passive.
                              Hhhhmmm, i have seen a few places say they are active? http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/in...9Imports06.jpg
                              Not sure if the link will work but it looks like old Charvel ads and it says active as well. I really couldnt tell you for sure. I have never owned a guitar with active anything before now.

Comment

Working...
                              X