NGD! Charvel Model 3a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD! Charvel Model 3a

My model 3a finally arrived today, after three weeks of glitched payments and fighting with a Guitar Center in Denver, Co. The guitar was listed as being in used/good condition but not great. Boy was I surprised when I opened the gray chainsaw case! The 3a is literally in NOS condition. It looks as if it's sat on a shelf unused since 1987. There is not A SINGLE SCRATCH on thing. My new guitars came with more blemishes! The guitar was of course down-tuned for transport so it needs to be fully set up since the JT-6 is out of whack. I was able to set it up well enough that I could play some Savatage stuff in drop d, even though the bridge was still pointing up at a 35 degree angle. From this little bit of playing I can safely say that this axe is better than my 550xl pro. It's incredibly good sounding and looking, and it's just a joy to play. The flame on the neck is AWESOME!

The only thing that gives away the fact that the guitar is used is the neck pickup (and the fact that both pickups are uncovered). The previous owner had the bright idea to replace it with something else. I don't know what it is, but it sounds like a Duncan JB. It's a huge improvement of the J80c that was originally there. The bridge pickup is still the original J80cb.

I was really happy about this, since I love the way the J90c. The J80cb is on par with the J90. The J90c is hotter, but the J80bc is still a hot distortion pickup, and it's perfect for 80s metal. I played both of them side by side on an amp with lots of distortion, and I found the J90c to have more unwanted feedback but more "cutting power". The J80c was a little bit tamer but allowed for better control. The harmonics were better with the J80c, but so much with harmonics has to do with the guitar itself. Both pickups are very responsive.

I know the JT-6 has a bad rep, but I must say I'm extremely impressed with this bridge. My 550xl has a schaller floyd in perfect condition. I've had it refurbished and the knife-edge pivots are in great shape. I have new parts for the locking nut (which is on the nut, not behind it) since the old clamps had grooves cut into them from lots of use. Even with all of this, my 550xl doesn't stay in tune when I use the tremolo bar. The model 3a on the other hand stays PERFECTLY IN TUNE when I use the tremolo bar EVEN WITHOUT THE LOCKING NUT. I'm just amazed but the tuning stability.. it's incredible.

The 3a is in the shop right now getting set up, but when it gets back I'll take pictures of it with my other Charvel. Chushin Gakki has done it again!!!
    Last edited by savatage; 10-22-2010, 10:39 PM.
    RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
    My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

You have a JB in the neck? How do you know it was a huge improvement over the J80C if you never heard the J80C in the neck?

What is a J80CB?

I'm a little confused.

Comment

The J80cb is the bridge version of the J80c. I've heard a J90c in the neck and it's sounds awful to my ears. Since the J90c is a higher output J80c, I'm assuming the J80c would sound similar. I don't know if the neck pickup is a JB or not. I'm going to have my guitar tech check under the hood while he's working on the guitar. The neck pickup sounds really nice though. It's thick and sounds like some super-output version of the Les Paul.
      RIP Criss Oliva -> Still The Orchestra Plays
      My Guitars: Fender USA Custom "Holstinin" Strat with Dimarzio SD and Chopper pups, 1987 Charvel Model 3a, Fender 1985 Contemporary Standard 22 Stratocaster, Custom Shop 72 Reissue "Blackmorecaster" by Fender Japan, 1979 Jolana Galaxis

Comment

Wow. I have heard of the J80 and the J80C, but never the J80CB before.

Take some pictures of that for me. I have a hit list on a couple of forums and ebay trying to track down a J80C, but maybe I need a J80CB.

Comment

I think I remember seeing a J80BC, never a CB
          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
          X