Love the New Japan pro mod!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love the New Japan pro mod!

So my guitar player was jealous of my 2 USA so cals and ordered a new So cal Japan Model from Sweetwater. My other guitar player had to have slime green so he went with the USA.. Both guitars arrived today and I have to say I am blown away by the japan model. The black finish was perfect! Way better than my black USA so cal and I also own a black san dimas style 2 Usa. The style 2 USA still had swirl marks in finish and cloudiness under the clear-coat when I got it.. Not the Japan model.. finish was flawless!!! The fret work on the Japan model was incredible, no sharp fret ends as they are dressed as if coming out a custom shop. I had trouble with 2 of the 3 USA I own.. and the 3 rd wasn't perfect either in terms of sharp frets.. I honestly have never seen frets dressed so well as on this Japan model, and I am accustomed to the fine fretwork on my Micheal Tobias Design basses. For those that dont know they are upwards of $7000 and known for the best fretwork around..
    We Had to buy a skb case for the USA, same skb as the charvel but no logo as charvel wont sell them separate yet. The charvel case is much sharper as well and has a lid on the compartment inside. So we paid $260 less for the Japan model and I gotta say, as much as I love my USA's, these Japan models are amazing and a awesome value for the money!! Everything about them is as good or better than the USA models. Set up was dead on and sounds and plays great!

Im waiting to see what the next batch may be and then its time to grab one!

Thanks for the review, been reading about the paint problems on the USA's. Good to see the MIJ's dont have this issue.
    Charvel CST 060 1992
    Charvel CST 070 1992
    Charvel CDS 090 1993
    Gibson Les Paul Standard 1993
    Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
    Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013
    Gibson Les Paul Classic 1999
    Duesenberg 49er 2012
    Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
    Duesenberg Starcaster 2006
    History TH-LS Limited 2009
    History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

Thanks for the review! I have yet to play one or even hold one in my hand.

Originally posted by thedarkone101 View Post
      Im waiting to see what the next batch may be and then its time to grab one!
      May too! I hope they'll bring us some cool colors! Or even a tobacco burst!
      JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
      Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

So my guitar player was jealous of my 2 USA so cals and ordered a new So cal Japan Model from Sweetwater. My other guitar player had to have slime green so he went with the USA..
        Why do you have two guitar players + you? Triple guitar threat?
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Very cool. I thought I was done with buying guitars, but these new MIJs seem too good to pass up.

I almost bought one of the US promods but passed...got an import Jackson instead. I remember loving the import Charvels and the new Jackson is as good or better. I'm looking forward to checking these out.

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            Yeah, he is in Leatherwolf! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leatherwolf

"Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I tried new MIJ SoCal, and to be honest it was set up and played better than the USA ones. I also liked the slightly tinted neck. Overall quality was just as good as the USA guitars. Only problem is that some dealers are blowing out USA ones for not much more than the imports.

Comment

My brother picked up a new MIJ SoCal. In all fairness this one was a dealer Rep demo guitar, so it probably was a pretty good example. I played it for about an hour last night. You'd be hard pressed to much difference between this and a USA one. It played great, sounded great, looks to built tight. The only differences I noticed is that the MIJ has more of a rolled edge on the fingerboard, the frets were buffed out more, and the neck tint was a little more yellow.

Little bro with his MIJ SoCal:

Comment

Stop with the good review... I'm really "GASing" for one!!!
                  JB aka BenoA

Comment

The reviews on the new Japan pro mods have kind of got me gassing again. Can anyone give me a neck profile comparison to an 87 or 88 model 4? I've got two of those and really like the necks on them. Are these a totally different profile? Wider, thicker? I've never played a strathead charvel so I guess I really don't know how they compare. All I've got is the old pointy's. Thanks for any replies guys!!
                    Jim

Comment

Like the tinted neck pretty cool IMO.
                      I'm going to grab all the USA ones while I can for a few dollars more.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Im a Bass player in real life! I play guitar for fun and collect them, hotrod them etc.. Always wanted to be a guitar player which is evident in that I have tremolos on my custom MTD bass's. I also have a terrible addiction to Jackson and Charvel Guitars..//
                        Originally posted by Grandturk View Post

Comment

Thats the one I am thinking of grabbing if the new batch colors dont do anything for me.. And I agree with you, those are the exact things I found as well, which to me are all positive (except maybe the yellow tint, as i do think I like the whiter Usa)
                          Originally posted by LexLuthier View Post
                          My brother picked up a new MIJ SoCal. In all fairness this one was a dealer Rep demo guitar, so it probably was a pretty good example. I played it for about an hour last night. You'd be hard pressed to much difference between this and a USA one. It played great, sounded great, looks to built tight. The only differences I noticed is that the MIJ has more of a rolled edge on the fingerboard, the frets were buffed out more, and the neck tint was a little more yellow.

Little bro with his MIJ SoCal:

Comment

Sorry. My wife is pissed at me now as well.."Dont you have enough of those??" "you said the last one would be the last one"..Yeah, well I lied!!
                            Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                            Stop with the good review... I'm really "GASing" for one!!!

Comment

Sorry. My wife is pissed at me now as well.."Dont you have enough of those??" "you said the last one would be the last one"..Yeah, well I lied!!
                              Is your wife my wife's sister? They sound quite similar I've heard that many time!

Put aside the joking, I think I'm quite lucky as even if we have a tight family budget, she lets me spend money on gear more than I should!
                              JB aka BenoA

Comment

Working...
                              X