Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I put a Pro Mod neck/Floyd on my Model 3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I put a Pro Mod neck/Floyd on my Model 3?

Looking to turn my Model 3 into a strathead...can I score a USA or MIJ Pro Mod neck and just bolt it on?

Also, can I take a Floyd off of a Pro Mod and put it on the Model 3?

Anyone done this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MarkThomas; 12-30-2010, 08:26 PM.

Yup on the Floyd. I have a Floyd on my model 3a with stock posts. You can gt new posts from Dave at fretsonthenet but I don't had an issue with the stock ones... Yet.

Yes on the neck to body swap as well. It should bolt directly on.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I've done it(just look in the classifieds)

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys!

Will I have any issues with needing shims or anything else? With the Floyd, I just pull out the JT6 and throw the new Floyd right on the posts? Sounds almost too easy!

Rich, is that copper-colored hardware?
        Last edited by MarkThomas; 12-30-2010, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Rich, is that copper-colored hardware?
          chrome

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
            Will I have any issues with needing shims or anything else? With the Floyd, I just pull out the JT6 and throw the new Floyd right on the posts? Sounds almost too easy!
            shimming (the neck pocket) is for setting up the action of the guitar. unless you're talking about shimming the saddles to create the right radius to match the neck radius. in your case, you'll have to see if you need to shim the neck pocket after you change the neck, swap the floyd, etc.

you don't have to change the studs/posts for the floyd swap. just drop it right in. should work fine.

since you're into floyds, might as well read up and learn about them. you're questions are answered there.
            1) http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm
            2) http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/floyd-tremolo-tips.htm

Comment

Thankfully I got a wild hair tonight and tried this with my Pro Mod and my Model 3 before buying another Pro Mod or Pro Mod neck to do this...$400 to $600. Only cost me a couple set of strings.

I say thankfully because the neck swap did not work for me. The screw holes were off about 1/8" to 1/4", meaning that either the neck pocket on my Model 3 would need to be made deeper, or the heel of the Pro Mod neck would have needed to be shortened (sanded)...neither of which I am willing to do just to turn my Model 3 into a strathead.

Rich, when you added that Pro Mod neck to your Model 3, there was no tweaking needed at all? The screw holes just lined right up?

Also, When I tried to dry fit the Pro Mod's Floyd to the Model 3's posts, it was like the Model 3's posts were just a hair too thick for the Floyd to sit properly.

This was a Model 3 transformation I was looking forward to, but looks like she will stay a pointy.

Comment

Model 1's with the vintage trems had a flat neck pocket all others had a slanted neck pocket.
                This bullseye is an 86 model 1 with a USCG SD profile strat head neck.Fit perfectly.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Rich, when you added that Pro Mod neck to your Model 3, there was no tweaking needed at all? The screw holes just lined right up?
                  I only have to clean crap out of the neck pocket on the model 3 body.

Comment

Weird, I wonder why mine was so "far" off?

Is your Model 3 mutt still for sale, Rich?

Great guitar, Stray!

Comment

Weird, I wonder why mine was so "far" off?

Is your Model 3 mutt still for sale, Rich?

Great guitar, Stray!
                      No, I just bought a MIJ white body so the body will be for sale but not the neck and trem.

Comment

Working...
                      X