No announcement yet.

My First Charvel Toothpaste logo project guitar: need advice from the experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First Charvel Toothpaste logo project guitar: need advice from the experts

Hi,

I am new to the JCF forums and I have been playing guitar on and off for a couple of years. I was primarily a drummer most of my life from early 80s to mid 90s but tendonitis took that away. Playing guitar was very good therapy and now I love it. I love the model and 375 and 475 guitars. They feel better than anything else for me to play. They just dont seem to make them like that anymore. I have what I believe to be a 375 deluxe that I got for a good price. They called it a Charvel Vette but I dont think they were correct. It looks like one of the previous owners replaced the pickups with EMGs. I will use the EMGS in a Warmoth strat build I am doing but I want to put Jackson pickups in it. I would like it to be fairly original or atleast close. What would the best pickup combination be to put in soundwise (J90C with a couple of J200s)? Also can someone point me in the write direction for an original wiring diagram and last but not least where is the best place to get the parts to do this? Thanks in advance for the help. Here is a pic of the guitar.

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.
    Last edited by wolfbane20; 12-31-2010, 03:55 PM.

Looks like you're probably right that it's a 375. Sounds like they must've been referring to a Charvette. No pic of the headstock, but a Charvette would would say "Charvette" instead of Charvel on the headstock, so you're probably OK there since you didn't mention that. A Charvette would also either have an inferior, single-locking version of that trem or a JT-6 trem (a previous Jackson licensed trem). As for the pickups, you definitely don't want to put J200s in there, since you don't have one of the active preamps. J200s need an active preamp to not sound like ass. The 475 had the JE-1200 preamp with a J50BC & J200s, and the 375 had no preamp, J90C and J100s (true single-coils). Personally, I'd rather have the 375 electronics.

Welcome to the JCF, btw!

Comment

You can't go wrong with the venerable J90C/J100/J100 combo. In case you don't know, you'll need to replace both of those pots to go back to passives (assuming the right pots were put in with the EMG's)

Comment

I recently acquirea 375 Deluxe and I can't believe how much it kicks ass. I put a Seymour Duncan neck pickup in the bridge, and a Seymour Duncan Strat single coil (humbucking version) bridge pickup in the neck and the thing rocks!
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I like the stock pickups in the 475 but would like to go a little hotter and active in the 375 with charvel/jackson factory made pickups and not emgs. I do have a Kerry King pickup setup with all the wiring 2 emg volume pots and 2 emg tone pots as well as clip fit and non clip fit connectors and battery harness. Will those pots and connectors work properly to activate maybe J200s or J100s and a J90C?

Here are a few more pics:

URL=http://img717.imageshack.us/i/20101229152148203.jpg/][/URL]

URL=http://img837.imageshack.us/i/20101229152200398.jpg/][/URL]
          Last edited by wolfbane20; 12-31-2010, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Damn!! Ive been cruising the forum tonight and now I want a Model 2 too. Damn you people and your awesome guitars!!!

Comment

Nice score, those are great guitars. Congrats!

Oh yea, and welcome to the JCF. land of the cockdragons. several of us here are retarded. you will figure out which ones.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                several of us here are retarded. you will figure out which ones.
                ===> <===

Comment

I put this in a J-80 tech thread earlier but thought I would ask in this thread as well. I saw a J-95 on ebay. Ive heard of the J-50,80 and 90 but what is a 95?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    ===> <===
                    I was waiting for that.
                    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by wolfbane20 View Post
                      I put this in a J-80 tech thread earlier but thought I would ask in this thread as well. I saw a J-95 on ebay. Ive heard of the J-50,80 and 90 but what is a 95?
                      I've not had one but it's a hotter pickup. I think it was stock with the Charvel 88.

Comment

Is that a dinky body? i always thought those came with the sculpted lower horn or am I just confusing this with jackson?

Comment

Originally posted by maluco View Post
                          Is that a dinky body? i always thought those came with the sculpted lower horn or am I just confusing this with jackson?
                          I believe the 375 and 475 have a dinky body whereas the models have a strat style body.

Comment

Heres a pic of my 475, eventually the 375 will look almost the same (pickup wise), except that the 375 has one less knob

Comment

Working...
                            X