Japan Pro Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll check that.
    I know the allen bolts at the bridge should be ok.
    at the nut, I found if i tightened the lock at the nut on the low E string using the longer side of the allen key, even if i got it as tight as i could, if i detuned the tuner, the tuning slipped. so i ended up using the key the other way round for more leverage which is actually made the string go higher... though it looks like the pull down bar is fine.

This morning i did a sloppy test while running out for work. I tried dipping the bar and bringing it up slow, and dipping it and just letting go so it whips back. The second method holds the tuning better.

one of the grooves cut in the bar at the nut is through the chrome.
    bit upset i couldn't check all this stuff in the store... I guess its a bit much to ask to store if you can dismantle the trem though, and the tuning issues i had in store i put down to the strings not being stretched

Comment

I'd probably drop $30 on a new R3 locknut from Floyd Rose. If the lock pads are grooved, then they will not hold.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

If it's a new guitar there should not be grooves in the nut/clamps

Looks to me like you either had bad luck in your endevour of setting up a floyd and created some damage, or you got a customer return

Just an FYI for setting up a floyd (once you've got the basics down)
        when putting on new strings, I tune to pitch, wank a while on the trem (mostly pitch up), retune in between untill it remains stable, then turn all strings sharp and leave it like that for a day (or night)
        When I grab it again, I tune everything back to pitch, barwank again for a while then tune to finish (often not even needed), and only then do I clamp down the nut!
        keep in mind clamping down the nut may raise pitch a little on the strings, so leave your finetuners with enough travel both ways
        Last edited by Nightbat; 01-08-2011, 12:16 PM.
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

There is no reason to "stretch" your strings when stringing up a properly setup and working double locking Floyd. Tune to pitch and lock the nut. Done.
          Blank yo!

Comment

The problem won't be a properly setup and working floyd, (especially) wound string WILL need to stretch before they stabilize

So yes, restring, tune up and lock down,..... just don't do bends or use the trem or pick too hard after that
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Nope. Strings don't stretch.
              Blank yo!

Comment

Im pretty sure it wasn't a return... based on the state of the packaging and so on.

I also spent a long time reading up and checking out vids and seeking advice and floyds before deciding to pull the trigger.
                I also stretch the strings on my non locking guitars.

The shop setup was aweful. really high action. +3mm off the 12th fret with everything open. Manual says it should be 1.5mm. The trem was not parallel to the body.

I did no setup on it for a while because i had to move house and everything was packed and I wanted a pro to do the first set up. That got the action much better, but this is the first time the locking nut came off... and the first time the tuners became an issue.

after that I had a go at various things being very careful not to over tighten anything.
                I doubt that in that much use i could have worn through the chrome on the underside of the string retainer. Or grooved the clamps. If i have, then they must be pretty poor quality.

anyway... that said... i played around with it more tonight. compared it to my les paul which is the most stable guitar ever and it has been doing really well.

I even managed to get the BKP Nailbombs on by slackening and taking out the trem springs, and then replacing them and tuning up using the claw back to ideal tension.

Things are looking up!
                probably need to get my hands on a schaller locking nut and retainer though.
                cheers for all the help and suggestions for tracking down potential issues.
                Last edited by HammerBros; 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  Nope. Strings don't stretch.
                  You argueing that pulling the string doesn't stretch it, but rather tightens the winds around the tuning post?

Comment

Put a wedge under the baseplate of the floyd.Tune the guitar to whatever tuning you want then lock the nut.Pluck each string and push down on that string behind the nut (if the string raises in pitch your nut is fucked) If it doesnt then remove the wedge and tune up using the spring screws.If youre baseplate is level and your nut is locking the strings no matter how cheap the tremlo is it will stay in tune.

Comment

Done and Done. I've not done anything crazy. I got talked and shown through a setup and such, so It's all good. I can do it. It's much more stable now. I did some comparisons with my les paul... just doing big bends and stuff.
                      The nut or retainer or both will get replaced. they do cause a problem with string changes at the very least since the strings snag really badly when using the nut totally unlocked. like when changing strings.

I might try some 10-46 strings on this. I just broke the high in off the 9's that i just put on it. just one of those things. i have run out of 9-42s for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by HammerBros View Post
                        You argueing that pulling the string doesn't stretch it, but rather tightens the winds around the tuning post?
                        That's correct so when you lock at the bride and the nut, you remove the tuner winds out of the equation.
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Nice looking axe, BTW!!!
                          Blank yo!

Comment

I get what you mean about the winds. I've heard all that.
                            oh well... more string changing tonight! cheers for the compliment!

Comment

Working...
                            X