Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the model of Gotoh Tremolo in Custom ST ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the model of Gotoh Tremolo in Custom ST ?

Here is the link to the guitar :

I'd really appreciate if anybody could tell me the model of this tremolo.

It's called a JT-490 tremolo by Jackson/Charvel. It was used on the Surfcaster as well as the ST Custom. I don't know if it has a Gotoh name or number, or if they made it as an OEM trem for any other guitar brand.

Comment

Hey dg, thanks a lot. It helps...
      Btw do you know any nice replacement for this tremolo from any brand ?

Comment

I'm not sure about a replacement. The best thing to do is to measure the post spacing and see if something matches, like a Wilkinson or Gotoh 2-point trem. I'm a little pessimistic about a Wilkinson, because iirc the posts line up pretty close to the E strings on those, and yours look wider. If you do find something with the right spacing, then you need to make sure the distance from the knife-edges to the saddles gives you the needed intonation range, which can also be a tricky thing. After saying all that, your best option will probably be to keep an eye on eBay for a Surfcaster or ST Custom trem.

Comment

Thanks to you dg, I remembered to update the Charvel Japan list, more specifically the ST Custom entry.

HTML Code:
          ST Custom   1990-91   Ash   Maple   Rosewood   Bolt-on 22   Dot pearl   HSS   JT-490 w/roller nut
          Last edited by jackson1; 01-05-2011, 01:13 PM.
          Henrik
          AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Hello all, I measured the spacing between studs and it is 6.9 cm. Indeed all tremolos in market is shorter or longer (vintage ones are longer).
            Actually my problem is exactly the same that discussed (but not solved) here :

I think I will try to find a way to fix the bar. I fixed it with some paper now but it is a bit higher and don't think like a permanent solution. Although I rarely use it, would like to fix.
            As a side note : Custom ST is my favourite guitar (among the Les Paul Studio, Charvel San Dimas Style 1, Model 4 and Yamaha SF500). It is not better than all of them in every sense but very high quality and versatile guitar...

Comment

If your problem is with the bar itself, Dave at Frets on the Net makes replacement bars for the JT-490.

http://www.fretsonthenet.com/Tremolobars.htm#Charvel_Surfcaster_Tremolo_Bars!_

Comment

Hi dg,
                Thanks for your input. I am not sure if the problem bar itself. Bar looks ok. There is no friction/wear. I noticed small screw on the side part of the tremolo is missing but not sure if it could help or was there in first place, since I owned the guitar. I guess you know this tremolo and it has no spring or access to the mechanism so I don't understand what's happening in the hole where arm should sit

Comment

That small set-screw is the tension adjustment for the bar. Not sure exactly what kind of internal part (if any) works with that screw, but that's your problem. Does the bar snap into place and stay put at all when you push it in? Somebody else here had this problem recently. I'll see if I can dig anything up...

Here's the thread I was thinking of:

You may try to send a PM to the guy to see if he ever got his problem figured out. The "arm holder spring" that I mentioned in that thread is very common with push-in trem bars, but I've never seen a JT-490 up close or from the bottom to know if that's what they use. You should be able to tell if it has a broken or missing spring pretty easily by looking at the bottom of the arm socket. If it just needs the tension screw, some hardware stores carry a pretty good variety, and you'll most likely need a metric size for a Gotoh product. It's possible that Dave at Frets on the Net might know exactly what size it takes, and he may also know exactly how the whole arm/socket system is supposed to work.
                  Last edited by dg; 01-06-2011, 11:20 AM.

Comment

you will find such vibrato units by GOTOH on Fenix ST-20 and ST-40 Strats.
                    Great guitars and meanwhile starting to get a good reputation in europe. Google Young Chung, fenix.
                    Complete guitars in good condition - quality often better than mex strat, sometime miu or mij like - go for 300-350 Euros.
                    Only often to find cracks of laque at neckpocket ugly.

Comment

Working...
                    X