Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally checked out a new MIJ So-Cal tonight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally checked out a new MIJ So-Cal tonight.

Do not get me wrong. Nice guitar. Nice quality and the fit and finish was very nice. But I will take my 86-88 Model Series "Pointies" all day long over these new ones.
    The So Cal I played was the white with black pick gaurd. It was listed at $899.00 I think I would pick up 2 or 3 80's Model Series instead.

There's a lot that's right about model series charvels. Great playing guitars, affordable and downright cool. But there's a lot of wonky things they feature that, given the choice, I would prefer a ProMod for:

1 - they're old. So there will nearly always be work to be done to get them into playing shape. Missing or non-functioning parts, electronics, rusted bridge parts, or even simply worn frets, etc...

2 - wonky electronics. The pots get dirty and require frequent cleaning. The boosts may fail. The stock pickups are... Well... Some people like them. The pickup routes can be limiting for exploring aftermarket options.

3 - bridges. Kahlers, Kahler fulcrums and Jackson licensed Floyds. None of them are bad, per se... But...

4 - controls. Mini switches - ugh.

5 - glossy neck finish. Obviously I'm a fan of oiled maple and a lot of the Charvel appeal is the oiled neck

6 - string locks. Good, sure, but the locking nut is better ( IMO)

That said, I have had and still have Model guitars. But if I couldn't get them for dirt cheap, there's better options out there for me.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I love the model series, but I always gutted them and had them fitted with SDs and Floyds.

Comment

The only thing that i do not like about my Model 2 is the Jackson licensed Floyd. It does not stay in tune for $#!^ for me. I just love the necks on the old Model Series. I don't know, but when I played that new Charvel tonight. It just was not what I was expecting. The neck kind of reminded me of a CBS 76 Fender Strat I use to have. I did not expect that from a Charvel. The necks on my Charvel and my 60 Strat are just so much more superior.
        I am an oiled neck fan. I have sand and oiled the neck of all my guitars. That also goes for my 86 Model Series B2 Bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Dencon View Post
          The only thing that i do not like about my Model 2 is the Jackson licensed Floyd. It does not stay in tune for $#!^ for me.
          When was the last time you took a look at the posts and the trem knife-edges?
          Jackson licensed floyds are not known to go out of tune fast, after 15+ years I'm guessing things have a chance to wear out
          "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Is there anything I can do to it to fix it? It will be a wile befor I have the bucks to get a whole new system on the guitar.

Comment

To be honest with you. I am more of a hardtail fan. I was just thinking of going for one of those Tremo-nos. http://www.tremol-no.com/
              I like doing allot of down tuning

Comment

I can save you the money right now and share a secret. Wedge some wood or cardboard behind the block and then decrease some of the tension on yoursprings to make sure they wont loose the cardboard once your guitar is in tune, and TADA you're guitars bridge is now disabled, you can remove your string lock screws and treat it like a hard

Comment

Thanks, I have heard of that before. I think I will give that a try. But I like the way the Tremo-No allows you to to switch back and forth. But I think I am going to do what you say right now.

Comment

Working...
                  X