My 87 Model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 87 Model 4

I just picked up my first Charvel earlier this week, and immediately found this forum...which is good because I have a couple questions about replacement whammy bars...(see below please) But first some info and pics

1987 Charvel Model 4
    P'ups switched out prior to me owning it...it has a Blue Lace Sensor at the neck, Reverse Wound Seymour Duncan Strat Pickup in the middle, and an unknown model, red and black Seymour Duncan in the bridge (when I change strings I may pull it out to see if I can find a model number or something on the back)
    Because of the switch in pickups, the boost knob is now non-functional, but the tone and volume knobs are still wired, and all of the 3 way switches are still operational.

The JT6 is in great condition, no stripped out anything...the only thing I can't stand is the free swinging whammy bar (suggestions on whether to replace with a Schaller Bar+Collar OR an OFR Bar+collar??? Are they the same thing?) On that note...is the JT-6 worth keeping if I have the money to order a brand new OFR?

Frets are in great shape, and honestly other than the slight swirl in the clearcoat from cleanings over the last 20+ years...there really are no visible blemishes.

I love that Red!
    Jackson Pro DK2HT - Metallic Black
    Peavey 6505mh
    Blackstar HTV 112 Cab

Nice one. I believe you can fit a Floyd bar and collar on the trem... But I would replace the whole unit with a Floyd
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

fretsonthenet has replacement bushings for $2. Don't waste your money and keep the JT6.

Comment

I think I am going to replace it with an OFR...I found some posts by Sausage(something) and he'd done it, pretty sure it's a direct swap.
        That and I can't get used to the JT-6...my main axe is a Kramer Sustainer with a Schaller Floyd on it...and I really like having the fine tuners up top...I know I must be the only person in the world that actually doesn't like how they are tucked away on the JT-6 Lol...
        Peavey 6505mh
        Blackstar HTV 112 Cab

Comment

I had a same year model 4 , same color but i had chrome hardware and my trem was a schaller built jt590. Lovely guitar that is. Played great. Miss her, but i needed the cash :P

Comment

I don't think you have the original bar anyway...my '87 M4 JT-6 was black with a chome bar. And it is definitely shorter than your bar as well. I love that it swings freely, and wish my other Floyds did it as well. I've got Schaller Floyds, and still prefer my old JT-6. I know I'm in the minority on that one, but oh well. I do wish the fine tuners were on top though.

Nice looking guitar!! Good luck and enjoy!!
            My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I am going to get the OFR in black...my Kramer has one, and I really like being able to tension the bar to stay where I want it But I appreciate people's personal preferences and know there are alot of people that like it better that way...BayRocker I think you are right in the bar not being original...my father in law has an 86/87 Model 2 that has the black bar, but it has the black behind the nut string locks...my Model 4 has the chrome behind the nut string locks, and a black JT6, so it makes sense it'd originally have had the chrome bar to kind of accent it more...

Oh ya, and I don't think I'm going to immediately have the Floyd locking nut installed, but will definitely have it done in the near future, for now I'm just going to replace the bridge...then I have to decide if I want my "go to tech guy" to route for a fully floating OFR or leave it as a dive-bomb only.... ??? hmmmm
              Peavey 6505mh
              Blackstar HTV 112 Cab

Comment

you don't need to have it routed to make the floyd float. it's a matter of setting it up.

Comment

If I did decide to stick with the JT6 for a little bit, which replacement arm+collar am I looking for? Are the replacements for the OFR and the Schaller the same? I want the kind that you put in and screw down the little collar thing to tighten it from swinging....
                  Peavey 6505mh
                  Blackstar HTV 112 Cab

Comment

Please do not route the guitar for a recessed trem. I foolishly did this in the past when I was young and stupid and there wasn't an internet with someone saying "Don't do that".

Please learn from my mistakes.

Don't do that.

Comment

Lol...After looking at my guitar, and considering my wood working skills...I have decided against it. I have my Kramer if I wanna pull up
                      I just ordered a black Kahler behind the nut string lock...to keep the original setup, but I wanted it black again...they came stock black, but mine has apparently been replaced with a chrome one. Meh...
                      I am thinking about ordering a replacement trem arm, the OFR style one from Fretsonthenet so I can tighten down the arm to stay where I want.
                      Other than that, no huge plans for now....I may eventually put on the OFR, but someone got a speeding ticket so I have to save some money before I can get that
                      Peavey 6505mh
                      Blackstar HTV 112 Cab

Comment

Working...
                      X