Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild card single coil

Hi everyone,

I'm at that difficult stage if life when I require a neck position single coil. I tried a so-cal pro mod before Xmas and was impressed - so I'd be happy to order the first or second wild card. If anyone could give me an idea of the sound of the neck position SD classic stack that would be cool - I'm after a Malmsteen style cleanish tone for sweeping and arpeggios.

Linked to this, had anyone ever decked out a Charvel/Jackson with a Dimarzio YJM in the neck? I'm thinking of doing this but not sure how it would pair with a Siper Distortion in the bridge. Thanks!

The YJM is double stacked and pretty hot, and will pair up with the SD as well as any single coil could hope to. It's a great sounding pup imho.

Comment

No no no no no.

The Dimarzio YJM is a very low output stacked single. It will not pair well with a hum bucker or even other single coils. Keep it in sets with other YJMs or HS series.

Great sounding pickup though.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        No no no no no.

The Dimarzio YJM is a very low output stacked single. It will not pair well with a hum bucker or even other single coils. Keep it in sets with other YJMs or HS series.

Great sounding pickup though.
        Hmm, is that right? I did have it paired with other HS pups. It has a DC resistance of 23 kohms, I guess that is misleading??

Comment

Dc resistance is not an accurate indication of output. Both Duncan and Dimarzio state that in their materials. In can be indicative, but it is not an output figure. Dimarzio actually post their pickup output in milliamps or millivolts or something - check their site.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

I liked the YJM on he signature Malmsteen strat when I played it...but if the difference in output between that and the YJM is too big the pairing will not work. Do Dimarzio make any higher output single coils? I want to avoid the mini humbucker (fast track etc) option.

Comment

As usual Grandturk is right.

If you had the YJM in the neck and say a Duncan 59 in the bridge it'll be lo-gain on the neck and quieter, and loud bridge. It'll sound a bit dumb.

So the YJM has a mV output of about 90, and the NEXT highest output, hum-cancelling pickup they make is about 120 millivolts, and THAT is supposed to sound like a 60s strat with no hum.

So you can imagine what the YJM sounds like! Even the "real strat" non hum cancelling pups they make are about 160-180. That is why the HS series are so articulate.

The HS3, 2 and YJM are technically minibuckers themselves I think.

Anyway, pickups are more than just DC as Grandturk says, but a lot of folks don't realise this. It's about inductance, resonant peak, capacitance and yes, DC resistance. With experience you can get a good diea of what a pickups sounds like just by those numbers. "Hot" is more than just DC.

I have a Lace Transensor pickup which is humbucking and about 3K (yes, you read right). However, it's inductance is about 10 henries which is basically nearly the most you can get. It sizzles and works well for rock.

In answer to your question of "if not YJM, what?" I can only recommend FS1, which is not a minibucker.

(PS I have used HS3s for a while now, and have tried them with PAF type pickups in HSS config. It's ok, but really you'd want SSS, for consistency. I can do a demo if you like of output levels on that HSS strat with em in.)
              http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

I have a SDS-1 single in the neck with a SD in the bridge of a Soloist and the output matches fine. Only problem is the SDS-1 sounds like a thinner, less full ranged SD. Almost like you just turned off one of the SD's coils. I haven't decided yet if I like it or not. But I hardly ever use it...
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                X