The Model 6 Transformation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Model 6 Transformation thread

Hey all, I said I would start a thread, as per request so here it goes. It's going to take a long ass time, cause I'm going through a thing, but anyway, here's the start. Here she is, as arrived. I thew some baby oil on the board to get it lubed for fret pulling. Well, maybe, I haven't decide or not to do a refret, well see, just a quick wipe for the pics. Thanks goes out to dustinofcharvel for the victim.

Sweet, I love build/re-build/customize threads. Based on the look of those frets in the last photo, I'd go with a refret. My 2cents

Comment

Christ, it's not done yet??!! lol

Pulling frets - The fretboard ok to re-glue? That'd definitely make the job a lot easier not having to replace it....
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Ha ha it seems the model 6 has been the guitar to work on lately. Hopefully ill have mine painted by next month. I havnt had anytime to do anymore to mine yet.

Comment

The fretboard is salvageable, the frets are pretty hammered. There are some pretty deep divots in the board also. I'm going to take my hobby knife to it and spread and lift with the grain and add some rosewood. I'll take pics. The nut is also going to be swapped with a real floyd mod. I found this, http://markweinguitarlessons.com/for...-on-my-new-PRS, which is exactly the issue with the model6. I like the guys approach but of course, I am going to put my spin on it. Till then..........

Comment

Interesting. So he used screws to make the Floyd shelf if I read that correctly.

Comment

Kahlers, IMO are ugly and bulky, they work for some and kudos to the ones that dig em. I just have liked the way it feels with my hand on the string blocks of a floyd. I've tried others but I hate em, I also have been using them for so long I taught myself to rest my hand on floating floyd and not go sharp. They are so much fun when you learn how to make them behave. lol Once your accustomed there's no going back. lol I have a lot to say today, sorry for the long winded posts. Peace!

Comment

Yeah good idea huh? I'm thinking of adding wood to make it more natural looking.

Comment

I already have started scraping the neck. I'll post tonight, I'm in my mommy's apartment now, and can't sand, so it has to be scraped by hand until the weather breaks. Pretty lame, almost 40 and back at mommy's. lol I can't forget to bring my comics and dungeons and dragons stuff. Ha Ha

Comment

Scraping the neck is much more efficient compared to sanding, so yeah, don't wait for the weather to break. I bet mommy is happy that her son is back?
                      Henrik
                      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I think so, not sure, will find out. lol I need to swipe the future x's camera so I take more pics! I have most of the neck scraped and discovered that the scarf joint is broken, which made the fretboard lift. She took a nasty fall at some point but will be fine. I think the headstock is also cracked but will need to get through the paint to find out for sure. I'll return later.

Comment

Update. I don't have internet where I am and awaiting surgery plans so, if I disappear off and on, that's why. I found that the headstock is cracked too and will post pics of all soon. I scraped through the top and the wood is really dark, anyone know what wood this could be? I thought these were poplar? The back of trem route is cracked and looks to be laminated, like a top was put on. ???? It's interesting pulling paint off this one.

Comment

Pics of the progress gets more and more necessary / interesting with each of your updates. Hope you get well soon.
                            Henrik
                            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I think I remember reading here a long time ago that some of the Model Series did get veneers on the top to hide the seams.

Comment

Working...
                              X