Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing Bridge PU on MIJ Pro Mod So Cal: DIY or Pro Install?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Bridge PU on MIJ Pro Mod So Cal: DIY or Pro Install?

Hello from a longtime lurker (now registered).

A couple months ago I bought a new MIJ Pro Mod Series So Cal 1-2H, exactly like the one here:

I'm thrilled with everything about it---except the bridge PU. It's a little extreme, even when I roll off the volume. (I play mostly classic rock and 80s metal: Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Scorpions, etc.) I know I would be completely happy with a Duncan JB. I didn't go with the San Dimas because I liked the cosmetics on the So Cal better and I thought I would like the Tone Zone.

My question is: Is it relatively simple enough to attempt to replace the bridge PU? (I have soldering experience but zero pickup changing experience.) Does anyone know of any guide or tutorial on changing pickups on a similar guitar to the Charvel?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

My moto with this kind of stuff, is: If you have to ask, then you're better off seeing a pro. You won't ruin it if you try and mess up (Assuming you dont drop hot soldering lead on the finish lol), but how much are you to give up on this job vs the amount of patience you have undertaking new tasks is what you need to be weighing. If you take it to a shop, they can often do it right away. It's like a 15to 30 minute job for any seasoned electronics guy

Comment

It's a 1 vol, 3 way switch setup, right? Should be a simple job.

If you're not totally confident, check the videos on this page:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...stalling-pick/

You say that you have some soldering experience. Watch the video and then judge whether you want to do it yourself of if you want to pay someone to do it.

Hope this helps,
      -QR
      Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

If you want to learn, and could stand to save a buck, go for it. It's relatively simple wiring.

If you're just interested in a guitar with a different pickup, and you have the extra cash, pay someone.

Comment

Thanks very much for the replies. I guess I'm still kinda on the fence about it. The downside of taking it to a tech is dropping the guitar off and having to wait for a month to get it back. At least that's been my experience.

Comment

It's easy and relatively difficult to do any damage. Learn how to do it.

Inside these things, the pickup is wired to the switch and grounded to the back of the volume pot. Unsoldering and soldering to the switch is easy and you can't cause any harm being ham fisted there. You will need at least a 35w iron o. The pot to heat it quickly and get the ground off. Overheating the pot can damage it - but in 20 years of my soldering in guitars, I've never fucked up a pot.

Do I yourself.
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              It's easy and relatively difficult to do any damage. Learn how to do it.

Inside these things, the pickup is wired to the switch and grounded to the back of the volume pot. Unsoldering and soldering to the switch is easy and you can't cause any harm being ham fisted there. You will need at least a 35w iron o. The pot to heat it quickly and get the ground off. Overheating the pot can damage it - but in 20 years of my soldering in guitars, I've never fucked up a pot.

Do I yourself.
              Thanks for your reply and for the encouragement. I really do want to be able to replace my own PUs.

Would my reference be material on replacing strat PUs, i.e., removing pickguard, etc.? Or are Charvels with Humbuckers different animals?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtr65 View Post
                Would my reference be material on replacing strat PUs, i.e., removing pickguard, etc.? Or are Charvels with Humbuckers different animals?
                The only difference is the number of wires coming out of the pickup - typically. A humbucker will usually have 4 wires + ground and a single coil will usually have 2 wires (hot and ground).

For a simple install like on the SoCal - you're going to be connecting 2 sets of two wires together and taping up one set, so essentially you end up with 2 solder connections per pickup on the SoCal. Using Dimarzio wire colors - you've got red, black, white, green and ground. You connect the white and black wires together to wire the two coils in series - this then gets taped off and you can forget about it. Then you wire the green and the ground wire together. This goes to a ground point on the guitar - on the Socal it will be the back of the volume pot. The red wire is your "hot" - this will go to the terminal on the switch.

Basically - if you pull a pickup out - you put the new one in right where the old one was. Seymour Duncan has most of the wiring drawings you will need right on their web site.
                Last edited by Grandturk; 02-22-2011, 01:02 PM.
                Blank yo!

Comment

Grandturk: Thanks so much for taking the time to explain all of that. I truly appreciate it.

Comment

n/p - good luck
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Hey Gtr,
                      replacing a pup in a Charvel is no different than in any other guitar. (Except that Charvels rawk harder...)
                      If you go with a JB (or any other SD pup), be aware the color scheme is different than Dimarzios. For SD pups, you solder and tape the red & white together, green = ground, and black = hot. Same concept, different colors.
                      http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=2h_1v_1t_3w
                      I always put a comb under the back edge of the Floyd to absorb the spring tension when loosening the strings, cover the body in 3M (blue) painters tape to protect from scratches, and toss the screws in a coffee cup to avoid loss. You will need to undo the nut on the input jack, so it can come off with the pickguard, also will need to desolder & resolder the ground wire from the spring claw for pickguard to come off completely. Take your time, and it's absolutely not hard at all. Buy yourself a case of beer with the money you save by doing it yourself. Good luck!
                      Last edited by BigDaddy's Model 6; 02-25-2011, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddy's Model 6 View Post
                        Hey Gtr,
                        replacing a pup in a Charvel is no different than in any other guitar. (Except that Charvels rawk harder...)
                        If you go with a JB (or any other SD pup), be aware the color scheme is different than Dimarzios. For SD pups, you solder and tape the red & white together, green = ground, and black = hot. Same concept, different colors.
                        http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=2h_1v_1t_3w
                        I always put a comb under the back edge of the Floyd to absorb the spring tension when loosening the strings, cover the body in 3M (blue) painters tape to protect from scratches, and toss the screws in a coffee cup to avoid loss. You will need to undo the nut on the input jack, so it can come off with the pickguard, also will need to desolder & resolder the ground wire from the spring claw for pickguard to come off completely. Take your time, and it's absolutely not hard at all. Buy yourself a case of beer with the money you save by doing it yourself. Good luck!
                        Thank you SO MUCH for the info and the encouragement!!!

I wish the technology was here now to be able to send you a cold one!

Cheers!

Gtr65

Comment

Nice thread thinking about installing a J50bc into my Jackson Performer.

Different p/u's use dif volume pots though right? So how do you know if you have the right one like in my case?
                          USA Jackson RR1
                          Charvel Model 6
                          Jackson Performer-2
                          Orange Dark Terror
                          EVH 5150 LBX
                          Hello Senòr

Comment

The only thing I consider a must is a good hot soldering iron

I've killed a few switches and pots with a low wattage iron because I ended up having to heat them too long before the solder would stick to them

@AussieTerry84
                            with a few exceptions
                            For passives you'd use 500 or 250kOhms pots
                            for actives you'd use 50 or 25kOhm pots
                            For Actives
                            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Suggestion- Open the guitar up and take a few digital photos with your iphone or whatever of what it looks like when it's done right. Then it's relatively simply to copy what's already there with the new pup, or put the old pup back in if you have a problem.

This won't teach you about circuits or whatever, but it will allow you to replace pups in all cases where you are satisfied with the existing switching scheme.

Comment

Working...
                              X