Do J200 pickups need the Midboost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do J200 pickups need the Midboost?

Thinking bout putting my J50bc in my Jackson Performer-2 now im also thinking about putting in my left over J200 for the neck BUT it means i'll have a left over middle stoc pickup in the performer, now i know the p/u's aren't active instead its the midboost so my qiestions are.....

How will the J200 sound in a Alder body in the neck position without the midboost?

Will the stock middle p/u in the performer work with the midboost or will i need to make it dead? (middle n neck pickups are J135's)
    USA Jackson RR1
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Performer-2
    Orange Dark Terror
    EVH 5150 LBX
    Hello Senòr

Where's Sunbane when u need him most
    USA Jackson RR1
    Charvel Model 6
    Jackson Performer-2
    Orange Dark Terror
    EVH 5150 LBX
    Hello Senòr

Comment

In my experience the J200 sound a bit weak withotu the 1200 circuit. The stock one will work with the boost I am pretty sure. Would like to hear how you get on with it.
      http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

They will work without the boost but will sound very bad. If you look through the electronics manual, it says right in there that they are only meant to be used with one of the active preamps.

Here it is:

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...8Page06_07.jpg
        Last edited by dg; 02-23-2011, 08:17 AM.

Comment

I just used mine last night. They are hooked up to a JE1200, but sound good when I dial the knob back. Of course the JE1200 even when not using the boost may be buffering the output which would make a muffled pickup sound better. I've not tired them completely without a preamp.

Comment

thanks for help guys also more importantly is it ok to mix the j200+Je1200 with other passive pickups?
            USA Jackson RR1
            Charvel Model 6
            Jackson Performer-2
            Orange Dark Terror
            EVH 5150 LBX
            Hello Senòr

Comment

No problem at all mixing them with other brands, or adding other passives to the JE1200. I've messed around a bit with different Duncans and the JE1200 and have had good results, but one thing I've noticed is that with higher output pickups it adds adds a fair bit of compression that you may or may not like, even with the midboost rolled all the way off. I think the hottest stock pickup J/C used with the JE1200 was the J80C, which is medium-high output.

Comment

Working...
              X