Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introduction

Hi I’m new here, long time lurker, but this is my first post. I’m a big fan of Charvel guitars, but yet to own one.

I'm looking at a metallic black 650 custom that's currently listed on ebay. I did a huge amount of research before posting, but I’m still getting a lot of conflicting information. Mainly, the wood that the body is made of. I hate buying things that are mis-represented, so I’m wondering if anybody has any advice on the worth of a guitar like that? Also, he says the tuners are not stock, but they look stock to me. So I guess the big question would be... Is this guitar worth $600 or will I be making a big mistake on my first Charvel purchase?

Thanks in advance, and any help is appreciated.

I don't think its worth that much.

I believe it should be maple with poplar body wings. I don't think they started using alder body wings until the Jackson Professional series. But neck-through experts can go ahead and correct me.

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...n%2FPage18.jpg
    Last edited by Grandturk; 02-24-2011, 01:47 PM.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Yeah, I probably would not pay that much for one unless it was in REALLY great, super-minty condition.

Comment

Yep, it's maple/poplar. Poplar isn't a whole lot different from alder tonewise, and it was used on quite a few Jackson USA neckthroughs, especially early on. You didn't post a link, but if it's really clean, $600 is about the going rate these days.

-edit- Just looked at it. Looks to be in nice shape. No case, though, which sucks. I'd be nervous having it shipped without one. He should get a case or lower his price $50 - $75 imo.
        Last edited by dg; 02-24-2011, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. Sounds like it's unanimous that I should pass on it.

I was interested in that model because I had played a 650 custom about six months ago, and it was an amazing experience! But it sounds like I can get a better model for the same price. Can anybody recommend a better Charvel that's gonna run me no more than $600.00.

Comment

Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I was able to score a nice black Model 6 recently for $495 shipped with an OFR. It needed to be wired up, but turned out to be a great axe. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.

Comment

Is that Model 6 a neckthru? I'm having an impossible time finding a neckthru with that mid-boost circuit for under $600.

Comment

If you're really patient, you might get a deal like Don got, but it's the exception. The best neckthrough deal you're likely to find in the short run will be a Model 5. That has the midboost, 2H, and dot inlays instead of sharkies, and you can usually find one for around $500 in good shape with case.

Comment

Yes, I'm quickly finding that all of the "good deals" on neckthru/mid-boost models are usually quite beaten up.

Comment

It's all a matter of perspective, imo. When I got my Model 6 about 7 years ago, the going rate was ~$400 for a minty one with case, and that's what I paid. There were plenty of people here who had been spoiled getting them for $200 in the late '90s to about '01 or so, and they'd say people were crazy to spend $400. Prices have gone up because of supply & demand and sellers getting way better at using the web to figure out what they have and how to price it.

IMO, If you find a nice Model 5 for ~$500 or a nice Model 6 or 650XL for ~$600, you will still be hard pressed to find anything else out there as good for the money. They're not the insane bang-for-the-buck they were, but still a great value.

If you are hellbent on getting one cheap, just be careful. Cosmetics or small electronics issues are one thing, but if you get one that needs a lot of fretwork (especially a refret), you'll likely end up worse off than just getting a nice one in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Charvelusty View Post
                        Is that Model 6 a neckthru? I'm having an impossible time finding a neckthru with that mid-boost circuit for under $600.
                        Model 6's are only neckthru. Yep, JE1200 midboost. Pair of J200s and I went with a J80C for the bridge because I used my J50BC for another project.

Comment

Slight threadjack- I admit I haven't looked all that hard, but where is that photo with the $599 pro mods from? Were they new?

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                            Slight threadjack- I admit I haven't looked all that hard, but where is that photo with the $599 pro mods from? Were they new?
                            Long & McQuade's in Canada if I recall the store name right, and yes they were new. Blowing them out I guess. :dunno:

Comment

That e-bay auction ended at $650.00!

Comment

Working...
                              X