Charvel St Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel St Custom

I am able to get this St Custom for $300 + postage..

I have never played one of these before

Are they closer in feel/tone to a strat or a model series?

What is the trem like?

Is it worth the money?

I would probably replace the pickguard with a h/s/s one and put a SD HB in the bridge position since it looks like there are 2 single coils there currently.

If that guitar is all original (which I think it is) it is pretty damn rare. I have never seen one like it - an ST Custom with the strathead and the 3-knob layout. I don't know if it's an ST Custom (does it say on the headstock?) but it's the closest match when you look at the available catalogues. You should definitely buy it, so we can gain some knowledge and pics on it Unfortunately, I can't help you with your specific questions. I have never played one. But Japanese J/C guitars from the early 90'ies are good instruments.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I've seen one or two ST Customs w/strathead posted here. It could be worth it because of the strathead. The trem on those was the same one used on Surfcasters. Made by Gotoh and very hard to find. Also hard to replace w/ something else because of the post spacing, iirc, so I'd be sure to ask the seller about the condition of it.

Comment

Yes, it says ST custom on the headstock..

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
          I've seen one or two ST Customs w/strathead posted here
          With 3-knob layout?
          Henrik

Comment

No, pretty sure only with the standard 2-knob layout. Comparing to the catalog, you're right that it's not just an added knob, because the rest of the layout is a little different. They might've opted for a whole new pickguard, though, because there's no good location to add one to the regular layout.

Comment

So where timewise would this guitar fit? Having Jackson labeled pickups and strathead. Halfway through 1991, I'd say.

I wonder how many of these exist? Less than 50? 10? It is not in any catalogue. And it has a strathead. Not many Japanese Charvel's got that due to a lawsuit. Some of the early CX did, if I recall correctly. dimefan, this one is rare all right!
              Henrik

Comment

Hey, look what I found on my hard drive and uploaded. It has got a JT-590 even:
                http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...m_strathead%2F
                Henrik

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                  hey, look what i found on my hard drive and uploaded. It has got a jt-590 even:
                  http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...m_strathead%2f
                  that guitar was hot!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                    Hey, look what I found on my hard drive and uploaded. It has got a JT-590 even:
                    http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...m_strathead%2F
                    That thing looks awesome.

Comment

I didnt end up getting it...

I had some hesitation because of the tremolo and he ended up selling it to someone else i think.

Comment

Shoot... did you get more pictures of the thing? For reference later if needed here.
                        Henrik

Comment

He still has it advertised and edited the listing today, so he mustn't have sold it.

Im going to hold out for a different mij j/c

I got a couple more pics.

Comment

Excellent dimefan, thanks.
                            Henrik

Comment

Thanks for including the ser #

You can use that, right Hen?
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X