Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ST Deluxe (Charvel's take on a traditional Strat)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ST Deluxe (Charvel's take on a traditional Strat)

First post. I found this forum yesterday looking for info on my Jackson but I thought I would post some impressions on the ST because of the lack on info on here about these.

First, the headstock is ugly but that is the only downfall of these great guitars!!!

The guitar is obviously aimed at reproducing the feel of a vintage stat (with no hum pups) and the once piece non-scarfed neck couple with staggered klusons and a vintage style bridge and smaller frets on a maple neck is spot on to cop the vintage feel with a slightly friendlier radius. They even went with the original style of truss rod pain-in-the-butt-remove-the-neck-to-adjust style.

The pups are actually very good for what they are trying to achieve: they sound very similar to 5 position strat pups without any noise (even playing through high gain they are silent). Their is certainly a lot of strat character (lots of quack on 2 and 4) to these pups and they respond very well to picking dynamic or finger choice if you are a hybrid picker. You can really control the amp like you can with a fine (but loud single coil). Country to Metal with all stops in between. Used through Marshall, Fender, and THD and the amp was great with all of them; really likes tube amps more than solid state

The bridge pickup is a combination of two single sized humbuckers to give a more traditional humbucker sound when wanted. There is also a 3 position toggle at the bridge to add in the front bridge pup in either phased or out of phased position.

Electronics are tight and the volume and tones both offer several spots of bliss on the way up and down the dial. Paint is superb and the black hardware on red is very "Brad Gillis".

I have read on here that some think this is a Korean made guitar and I can say without any hesitation that is most certainly not Korean made; the feel of the guitar is on par with early Japanese Strats and it honestly feels more US made than anything (you know that feeling of quality that guitars have). I would compare the feel of it very closely to early 3 bolt G&L's. Crazy I know but I have owned in excess of 25 quality US guitars and about 15 early Japanese and I think I am pretty judge of quality after 30 years of playing. It has more in common with EBMM than with Japanese Jackson when you are judging the feel of the guitar.

Anyways, most people will write this guitar off because of the fugly headstock...I never look at the headstock when I am playing so it really doesn't bother me and I love getting Fender sounds without having Fender on the Headstock. These are kinda hard to find but I recommend, if you have an opportunity to try one, you should not judge this by some of the reviews you may read that are made by people by proxy rather than experience -- I think you may be surprised. It was made to be like a traditional strat (without noise) as opposed to most Charvels/Jacksons which were styled as modern hot-rodded strats.

Cheers.

Will post a couple of pics when I can and you can all barf at the headstock. lol

Last edited by imagineifJimihadaJackson; 04-09-2011, 03:34 PM. Reason: add photographs

Wow. That's an ugly headstock.
    "Life's too short for shitty guitars" - unknown

Comment

Originally posted by silversurfer View Post
      Wow. That's an ugly headstock.
      +1000.

I'd be ashamed if I came up with that

Comment

Originally posted by imagineifJimihadaJackson View Post
        .. I thought I would post some impressions on the ST because of the lack on info on here about these.
        Welcome! And thanks for the hands-on info on this fairly rare model. Real user impressions are so much better than just looking through old catalogs

In case you haven't found it yet, here's some technical info about it:

I have read on here that some think this is a Korean made guitar
        I think most of us here know that this is Japanese made and a good quality guitar.

Will post a couple of pics when I can and you can all barf at the headstock. lol
        BARF!
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks for your post...

I have a few questions.

What would be the market value of one of these in good conditon AND would a pro-mod neck bolt straight on it?

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
            In case you haven't found it yet, here's some technical info about it:

I think most of us here know that this is Japanese made and a good quality guitar.
            Thanks for that link..I hadn't seen that page yet and I will certainly go into my bookmarked guitar pages.

When I was trying to track down info on the guitar I came across a few post (not this site) that basically said it was Korean/Tawain crap and not to bother even trying it -- that was the source of my "its a quality guitar tirade"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Sandman View Post
              What would be the market value of one of these in good conditon AND would a pro-mod neck bolt straight on it?
              I am not sure of the neck change but I would think it should because it has the same Charvel neck plate which I would assume means the bolts would line up...maybe have to shim it a little.

As to the price, I have no idea what these sell for. Based on the feel and playibility of the guitar, I would put it at it much higher than it will actually sell for -- that headstock is a real turn off for most people (even Doc Watson and Jeff Healey would find it objectionable).

Here is a link to a rosewood board one on Guitar museum that was $570 US http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-...rvel-st-deluxe
              Last edited by imagineifJimihadaJackson; 04-09-2011, 03:59 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Great review!
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by imagineifJimihadaJackson View Post
                  truss rod pain-in-the-butt-remove-the-neck-to-adjust style.
                  You should trademark that description!

I have to say, the headstock is not my cup of tea. And although I recognize the style, I never have seen one in person. Guess I'll make sure not to snub it if I come across one.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Sorry, but it a shame that guitar has the Charvel name on it...there were a few bad ideas that ended up with the Charvel name on them.

Anyway, maybe cut-off the headstock, attach a short handle, and head to a Perkins or Baker's Square and serve pie with it.

Again, sorry, I couldn't resist. No idea what it is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkThomas View Post
                      Sorry, but it a shame that guitar has the Charvel name on it...there were a few bad ideas that ended up with the Charvel name on them.
                      You are writing off the whole guitar because of the headstock?? Wow, that is kinda harsh judgement. I can understand not liking the headstock but to shame the guitar so completely without ever having had any sensation of physical evidence is surprising. The same reasoning is why G&L's are so cheap compared to the mostly inferior (excepting Custom Shop) Fender guitars. More deals for me

Comment

Working...
                      X