Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to 80s Charvels... is there any model with all of these features?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to 80s Charvels... is there any model with all of these features?

I'm mostly an Ibanez player. However,

1. I'm about to go to college in an area with an unstable climate (both humidity and temperature), which does not play nicely with the super-thin Wizard necks I usually play.
    2. I've wanted to try another brand for a while, and Charvel guitars sound pretty interesting from what I've heard.
    3. There just aren't many classic Ibanez guitars with maple fretboards, and I'm really tired of rosewood.

I've been examining old Model Series Charvels on Ebay for a few days, and I've seen a lot of features I like... but I haven't seen them all combined on one guitar. So here goes...

Is there an 80s Charvel with:

-Absolute requirements:
    1. Maple fretboard
    2. Floating trem
    3. Humbucker in bridge position
    4. Black hardware

-Would be preferred:
    1. White finish (I've repainted a guitar before, but I'd really rather not have to, and I definitely want this guitar to end up white)
    2. H-H pickup config

From what I've seen, the current So-Cal series has a guitar with all these features... however, I'd rather spend ~$300 on a broken-in 80s guitar than ~$900 on a new one.

Also, I read that the current So-Cal guitars have C-shaped compound-radius necks that are pretty thin relative to most brands, although not as thin as Ibanez necks. That sounds just about exactly like what I want from this guitar... is that also an accurate description of the 80s ones?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: This guitar would be just about perfect, but the posters in this thread say it's been heavily customized...
    Last edited by Steeler; 04-12-2011, 06:39 PM. Reason: Added information on other thread

From the Model Series you'd be looking for a 4M for maple, lic Floyd, bridge hum. There might be something in the toothpaste series, but I wouldn't know.

To be honest, the maple boards on the Model series guitars are so heavily glossed over, it doesnt feel anything like a ProMod maple neck or an Ibanez maple neck.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I've got a White Model 4, not maple, and a current San Dimas with maple. I think I prefer the neck on the San Dimas. I know you'd like to spend 300, but I wouldn't part with my Model 4 for anywhere near that amount. And I'd think a 4M would go for more. The Model 4 neck does have heavy gloss on it. The San Dimas is virtually unfinished. While the necks are a bit different, I wouldn't say the difference is enough to matter too much.
      My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
        From the Model Series you'd be looking for a 4M for maple, lic Floyd, bridge hum. There might be something in the toothpaste series, but I wouldn't know.

To be honest, the maple boards on the Model series guitars are so heavily glossed over, it doesnt feel anything like a ProMod maple neck or an Ibanez maple neck.
        On the toothpaste ones, what comes to mind is the Fusions. 24 fret maple board, 24 3/4" scale, hum/single config. There likely is a 22-fret maple board 25.5" scale toothpaste I'm forgetting.

The beauty of the 80s japan-made charvels is that the parts are so interchangeable you can easily piece together what parts you want and know you're gonna get a great guitar without being a full-fledged luthier. Even the toothpaste models are interchangeable with the earlier Model ones for the most part. The backs of these necks are all sealed with something that makes them more sticky than the newer pro-mods without a finish. I have sanded many a neck to get a similar feeling to these.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

If climate is an issue, you may want a neck with heavy finish.

375M might work for you.
          http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...9Imports03.jpg

Also you might check into 3 piece necks.
          Last edited by Tricky; 04-13-2011, 12:51 AM.
          Models
          The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
          I dont need furniture.
          If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
          If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
          And rock that sucker.

Comment

Maple boards on a old charvel are really rare and will not sell for under 300. There's a model 1c with a v trem that the seller wants 500. The 4m is rarer and will go for more.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              Maple boards on a old charvel are really rare and will not sell for under 300. There's a model 1c with a v trem that the seller wants 500. The 4m is rarer and will go for more.
              Yeah - but they usually turn up in GC for $299. Patience, Grasshopper.

I think the market is very soft on Model Series Charvels right now. I can't even get a nibble on my modded 3A and I've dropped the price way the hell down. Buyer's Market!
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

@remarks on fretboard finish: I've sanded down finishes before; I can always do it again if the gloss bugs me. But I play pretty light, and I was more of going for the look and tone (which hopefully isn't suffocated by the finish) of maple than the feel.

@remarks on price: I've seen some old maple-fretboard Model Series Charvels on eBay for under $300 either BIN or pretty late into the auctions... they just don't have many of the other features I wanted.

@remarks on toothpaste series: I've heard these are worse than the pre-toothpaste logo ones... is there a specific reason, or did general quality just drop?

@remarks on rarity of maple: It's still a better situation than the 80s Ibanez market, where you can pretty much only get maple on the RG550 unless you have enough patience to wait for an S540 with one or enough money for an RG770DX.
                Last edited by Steeler; 04-13-2011, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeler View Post
                  @remarks on toothpaste series: I've heard these are worse than the pre-toothpaste logo ones... is there a specific reason, or did general quality just drop?
                  Some like the Model series more cos they came out 1st and seem more retro than the toothpaste ones. One could say more mojo with them. But the toothpaste as a whole are better cos of the better hardware on them...real schaller-made Floyds and Floyd nuts. I've found the wood between both series to be comparable.
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                    Some like the Model series more cos they came out 1st and seem more retro than the toothpaste ones. One could say more mojo with them. But the toothpaste as a whole are better cos of the better hardware on them...real schaller-made Floyds and Floyd nuts. I've found the wood between both series to be comparable.
                    The Floyd type trem system is of better quality on Toothpaste.
                    Something that can be easily changed.
                    If you like them, the Kahler Pro on 86 Models 4,5,6 is excellent quality. Other than that and maybe a tool holder and strap locks, the hardware is the same.

Toothpaste bodies tend to be structurally weaker in a couple of areas. Cracking between trem posts and pup rout, and around the neck pocket.

IMO, I'll go with a trem swap over a possible structural issue.

There were design differences that cause some to prefer one over the other. Neck profile, Strat vs Dinky, surface mount trem vs recessed, Fusion short scale, etc.
                    Last edited by Tricky; 04-13-2011, 08:16 PM.
                    Models
                    I dont need furniture.
                    And rock that sucker.

Comment

Can you elaborate on the neck profile differences? I've got plenty of super-thin, flat necks... I want a more traditional C-shaped neck on this guitar.

Comment

IME,
                        The 86 necks feel a little thinner than 87-88.
                        86 are more flat down the middle, 87-88 more C shaped.
                        As far as actual thickness, I don't think there is enough difference to be a bother.
                        Some 87 models (probably early 87) have the 86 type of profile.

Toothpaste necks are thinner than 86-88 Models. Thin C.

86-88 Models have a glossy type finish, Toothpaste necks have a satin type finish.

Were talking bolt-on necks. Not neck-thru.

Models
                        I dont need furniture.
                        And rock that sucker.

Comment

Working...
                        X