Charvel 550xl Pick Up Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel 550xl Pick Up Suggestions

I got this Charvel 550xl about a month back, it came with a Seymour Duncan Livewire pick up in the bridge and the original rail pick up in the neck.

After playing this guitar for a while im just not keen on the Livewire, and i was wondering if you guys could help me out with some suggestions for a new pick up.

I'd be looking to play 80's thrash with some van halen, pantera and maybe a little hair metal thrown in. I've looked into the JB as it does seem to be some what of a stalwalt for most sounds.

As the Livewire is active the neck pick up has been diconnected and is not in use but i have a rail in my predator and it sounds ok, would be open to suggestions for swapping this too.
    Charvel 550xl (Platinum)
    Charvel Predator (Firecrackle)
    Jackson Ke3 (Purple)
    Jackson XL Soloist (Black)
    Fender Deluxe Players Strat (White)
    Yamaha APX 700 Acoustic (Cherry Burst)

If it were mine, I'd put a Custom and a Hot Rails in it. I love that combo in my Model 6. I'm not fond of the JB in most guitars. I think it works well to brighten up a mahogany guitar sometimes, but even then I prefer the Distortion for that. Some people love the JB, though, and Jackson puts it in just about all of their neckthroughs. It all boils down to personal taste.

Comment

Cool thanks, I've never heard a custom so i will check it out, As im in the uk i may got for a Bare Nuckle as they are very well priced over here. Got a Warpig in my Soloist xl. But i dont want as much output for this guitar i just want a good solid hard rock/ metal tone that has good cleans.

How does a hotrail sound for leads? as thats all i'd really be using it for.
      Charvel 550xl (Platinum)
      Jackson Ke3 (Purple)

Comment

A JB works fine. A pickup that surprised my for EVH tone is the J50BC. I put one in a Jackson bolt on Adler Body / Rosewood neck and it flat out rocks. It's a covered J50BC - I don't know if there were better or worse once, but this one kicks ass.

Comment

Try out a Jackson J90C humbucker. It is a great high output pickup that sounds tight and responsive too. I recently installed one in my '98 Chlorine PC1 as well as my Charvel Fusion Pro.

I am really impressed with the gain and tone!

Comment

I've got the J90c in my Predator and it does sound pretty good, Just fancy a different pick up for this guitar.
            As it stands im between a JB, Custom and a Bare Knuckle Nail Bomb.
            Still not sure about the neck tho, might stick with the original rail.
            Charvel 550xl (Platinum)
            Jackson Ke3 (Purple)

Comment

I can highly recommend the Custom. Haven't tried a BKP to be able to recommend one, but I've never heard anyone that has say they suck.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Conzo8 View Post
                I've got the J90c in my Predator and it does sound pretty good, Just fancy a different pick up for this guitar.
                As it stands im between a JB, Custom and a Bare Knuckle Nail Bomb.
                Still not sure about the neck tho, might stick with the original rail.
                Interestingly enough, the Nailbomb came to mind as soon as I read this post. The alnico version is the quintessential thrash pickup, without losing any of that fat rock capability. Ceramic version is not as warm, but crazy tight.Still works in most thrash applications, essentially a hot Cold Sweat.)

Other BKPs that would work, besides all of them, would be

VHII (Brighter, lower output. Like a JB)
                Holy Diver (Less output, "creamier")
                Cold Sweat (Similar output, brighter and tighter. Like a Duncan Distortion)
                Mule (Vintage output, like a PAF)
                I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                  I can highly recommend the Custom. Haven't tried a BKP to be able to recommend one, but I've never heard anyone that has say they suck.
                  Ok, let me be the first to say their PRICE sucks

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    Ok, let me be the first to say their PRICE sucks
                    I agree the price must be high for you guys, but as im in the uk i dont need to pay any extra import fees
                    I got my warpig on ebay for £65.
                    Charvel 550xl (Platinum)
                    Jackson Ke3 (Purple)

Comment

Interestingly enough there was a similar thread (charvel X50XL looking at BKPs) on the sneap forum a couple days ago. Check it out for some other opinions (including my own) http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/e...e-pickups.html

Comment

Alot of good info there Rogue, always nice to see the handbags come out too

I just checked out a video for Dimarzio Evolution pups and they sound awesome! I love the harmonics. Does anyone know what seymour duncan model they compare to most?
                        Charvel 550xl (Platinum)
                        Jackson Ke3 (Purple)

Comment

Though I'm not sure what you ended up choosing since this is an older thread, but I have an Evo in my SL1 and I'm not a big fan. Too high output for my taste. It was difficult to clean up for me. Opinions on equipment is like anything else though, too many variables in the mix. This said, I love the J50BC in my Model 6 so much that I picked up a spare.

Comment

I'm digging a BKP Aftermath currently. Clarity with some crazy bite/crunch to it. Yeah price is up a bit. I love the Nailbomb and Warpig also. I have guitars the JB works really nice in the bridge. My old Hamer Special loves that JB, I hated it in a Jackson I had. I'm amazed with swapping out pickups the difference it makes in different guitars. One of my all time general favorites is that damn J90, that and a few old Dimarzio Super Distortions that I bought back in the early 80's.

Comment

Working...
                            X