Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing a Floyd on a Charvel Model 1 Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a Floyd on a Charvel Model 1 Help!

I'm sure this has been disscussed before but I can't find any info about this.
    Had anyone installed a recessed Floyd on a Charvel model 1?

I noticed my Floyd Nut on my Jackson is aprox. 1-3/4" and the nut on my Charvel is closer to 1-5/16"

I absolutley love the maple Charvel neck but can sometime be a bit fickle when it comes to staying in tune. Also would love to be able to pull up in pitch with the Floyd - Dimebag Style. Should I just look for another Maple Charvel/Jackson with a Recessed Floyd or do the Mod? Can it be done?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    crushpup

Get another guitar. Seriously.

I'd modify that guitar to make the tremolo more stable, maybe throw on some locking tuners...but I wouldn't route it. That's just me.

Comment

Sure it can be done. I'm going to point you down to John at Doberman guitars in FL - ulijdavid on the forum. He's done some great work for me in the past and can probably help you out. I had him install a proper Floyd nut on a Model 3 neck which came out great. I also had him Floyd a Strat.

Keep in mind, parts and labor will probably run you a few $$$ so unless you really love that guitar, you might want to cruise the used market.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Thanks for the input.
        I have decided to do it "but" my Charvel Model 1 is almost mint so I bought another one off the bay that had been slightly modified, the volume knob had been relocated already and that fits with the Floyd mod perfectly. I am going to have it recessed and my guys told me they would need to move the PU forward slightly, add a piece of wood to give the posts enough to stay securely in place. Also there is a way to install the nut w/o drilling the holes, this was important to me, they will build a shim to level the nut. Worst case I'd have to go with a Kahler locking nut. I plan on painting the body and will post pics when she is done. I believe she will be a Shred Machine! And I am willing to take the chance. I still have my beautiful stock Model 1! :-)

UPDATE....

Just got a call and there my be an issue with resessing the Floyd, going to go chat with my guys. I'll post the verdict
        Last edited by Crushpuppy; 06-17-2011, 12:07 PM.

Comment

had a Schaller FR installed in my Model 1 many years ago and there was no need to relocate the pup, or volume at all. It was recessed, too. The guy did have to build a shelf for the FR nut and drill two holes through the neck,but no issues whatsoever in the 20-ish years I owned the guitar. That was the best playing and sounding guitar I've ever had, wish to hell I still had it.

I'd love to find another. I bought that one in 1990, and that was one of three model 1's the store found, NOS, that they didn't even know they had til I asked. All three had been sitting in their cases for several years, in stock, untouched.

Comment

I did it to mine:

Still playing it, no issues.
            "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I'd comment but Scotty NEVER BRINGS IT TO PRACTICE.
              Just sayin....

750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
              Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Get ready!
                Might become my new #1,
                Ok tied at #1,
                Jackie Blue is a Shred Monster as well!
                :-)

Comment

Ok all issues have been worked out and the body is headed for paint!

First here is how she was fresh off the bay with the volume relocated.

And here is the body after the mod, note I also had the bottom horn shaved slightly to allow for better access to the higher frets.

Also the guitar came with an Emg 81 but I bought a J-90c to put back in her.
                  That PU screams on my stock Model 1! I can't wait to shred this baby!
                  I will post more pics after paint. Thanks for all the comments.

Comment

SWEET! Very Nice Scooter!

Comment

Well I finally got her done and I couldent be happier with the results.
                      This puppy SCREAMS!! And of course now I have my Floyd capibilities.

This is one sweet axe!

And here with my other stock Model 1

For anyone who may be thinking about doing this I can honestly say I have ZERO regrets!

Rock on!
                      crushpuppy
                      Last edited by Crushpuppy; 07-14-2011, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
                        I did it to mine:

Still playing it, no issues.
                        that is a beautiful paint job on that charvel...wow...d.m.
                        http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

Originally posted by diablomozart View Post
                          that is a beautiful paint job on that charvel...wow...d.m.
                          Thanks d.m. but its not paint, its a skin from Ebay. Just a cheap alternative I can peel off/change if I get tired of it. I may refin one day, or just send it to Mike learn and let him go wild, but for now I'm still diggin the graphic.
                          @crushpuppy- good deal bro! I will never part with mine, it goes in my casket when the time comes, & my 2 boys can argue over the others.
                          "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Working...
                          X