Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here!

Hi guys.
    Thanks for your great forum. A lot of information and great stuff on here.

I´ve just bought my self a model2. Its been laying in a basement since 1989.
    From the serialnumber, I belive its from 1987.
    The paint is outstanding to be 24years old.
    Everything is stock. And the Kahler tremolo is great. I strung it up with new sets of 0.10, gave it som polish and new oil to the fretboard. The tremolo is great. keeps it all in tune.

two small dents to the body is all.
    But, on the bridge, its a piece thats broken. Is there any way I could get a hold of this? (see the last picture)

allright, enough talk allready. here it is:

Very cool. I dig the scalloped board. Great color on that one too.

I would replace the trem with a legit Floyd instead of trying to find parts for that thing.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Is it that hard to find parts for it?
      I´ve only read a few threads, but. Is it so that the original floyd tremolo fits right in there?

Thank you Grandturk

Comment

Welcome!
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yes an original Floyd will drop right in
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Sweet lookin Axe.

86 Models had Kahler trems, 87 & later had licensed floyd rose.
            Yours has a JT6 licensed Floyd.

Looks like part of the lock block is still there. If so and the string still locks in the saddle, and the guitar stays in tune, I wouldn't do anything to it.
            If you just want to get another one so it looks original, watch ebay.

Also it looks like the trem needs a little adjustment. Tighten the trem springs a little so the trem is setting level with the top of the body when tuned to pitch.
            Last edited by Tricky; 07-12-2011, 08:15 PM.
            Models
            The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
            I dont need furniture.
            If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
            If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
            And rock that sucker.

Comment

An OFR will drop right in but you will not be able to fully dive the trem as it hits the studs. Also you need the long block (42mm?? 43?) because the trem is not in a pocket route. If you want to replace the nut as well you will need to build a shelf over the truss rod cavity to hold it. If the strings aren't slipping at the current locks it's a lot easier to keep them.

The scallop job on that looks good. Its a bit odd they didn't start it at the 12th fret but it doesn't look like it got hogged out by a drunken money with a rat-tailed file like some I've seen.
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I had one just like that but I scalloped mine from the 7th to the 22nd fret.Almost thought that was my old one.LOL.
                Those string blocks are pretty easy to come by watch ebay.I used to have box full of them but I gave them away to forum members years ago.
                JT-6 trems are nice trems just find the part and play the snot out of it.
                FYI just buy some floyd blocks and use them till you find the correct ones.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thanks everybody!

Comment

The real issue is that the guy before you probably lost the locking block on the JT6 and replaced it with an OFR block.

So as had been mentioned before. there's nothing really wrong with your trem other than looks. If that bugs you, you can either find 5 OFR blocks or 1 JT6 block.
                    Last edited by DonP; 07-13-2011, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Hello Nino
                      I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Welcome, Nino.

Comment

Welcome Nino! Nice Axe. I agree, I would wait for a replacement block and play it the way it is for now. Keep things as original as you can. Also get that trem leveled out and have some fun!
                          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

I play fender strat mostly. And there the springs in is in parallell to each other. (3springs) And the spring on the bass-side is tighter then the other to. (The skrew is further in on the bass-side.)

But, now I see that this is not the way to do it on this tremolo.
                            What do you guys recommend?
                            Three springs in a "fan"?

(please forgive me for my spelling.)

Comment

Screw the claw into the body to increase tension on the springs and the floating trem. This will "Sharpen" the strings, so they will need to be de-tuned. This will lower the tail of the bridge further.

Comment

Working...
                              X