Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newer Charvel strat necks for a mutt, source?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newer Charvel strat necks for a mutt, source?

I'm thinking of making a warmoth body, charvel neck build, but was curious about the quality of the Charvel necks that I see being sold in various places. Is there a reputable source of current Charvel import necks? Just pondering the build at this time, because Charvel simply doesn't currently make a model that I 100% like.

Tks,
    Paul

Since Charvel doesn't sell parts, even necks, you have to venture into eBay land and look for someone who is parting them out.
    reliablefender on eBay seems to have a lot of them.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      Since Charvel doesn't sell parts, even necks, you have to venture into eBay land and look for someone who is parting them out.
      reliablefender on eBay seems to have a lot of them.
      Thats where I got mine. I waited on an auction instead of doing the buy it now and saved about $30. I got a complete one with the nut and tuners and am very happy with it. His stuff is good, its just a bit expensive sometimes. BTW, the charvel neck has the 2.25" heel and warmoth only does 2 3/16" pockets. I forget which company makes a 2.25" pocket. Maybe KNE, possibly.

Comment

Thanks guys. Damn, that's right, I've read a few things about the heel. Let me look around, thanks for the recs. Originally I was just going to pick up a used model 3, the earlier one with pickguard, but that damned Kahler 2500...

Comment

Musikraft will do bodies for Charvel necks. You can modify the Warmoth bodies to work with a Charvel neck but it takes some work, the only advantage to Warmoth really is that you can get the body finished, which... Then you're going to spend an hour or two carefully sanding the hell out of the neck pocket to open it up 1/32 on each side. :dunno:

Comment

Sounds like Musikraft might be the solution. Thanks, I'll check their prices.

Comment

WAIT! Will the current Charvel necks fit the model series neck pockets? Maybe I'll forego the pick guard and get a regular model 3 with the JT6.

Comment

yes, I had one and there was very little problem doing it. Some have had to do some sanding but less that if you got a regular strat body.

Comment

Ive had a jap promod neck in a usa body, fit like a glove. Same for a model series neck in the usa promod body. Im sure it would fit fine. So, if you would settle for the model 3 body, what about the HH promod or pickguarded socal is different? Are you looking for a HSS setup?

Comment

Yeah, I'm totally hooked on HSS setups. I'm just not a big fan of that round humbucker neck sound. It's always too muddy for some reason. Maybe I just need to suck it up and get a new Charvel So-Cal, and have it routed for HSS.

Comment

Damn, they don't make so-cals with rosewood fretboards? In fact, it seems only the wildcards have rosewood. Grrr....

Comment

Musikraft will also do Charvel-heel necks for the Charvel-heel bodies. Unless you're stuck on that decal on the peghead, just do a custom build. If you do a good job and let pros do the things you don't do like a pro, it will come out as good as about anything coming out of the Charvel Custom Shop for about 1/2 to 1/3 the price, depending on how much you can do yourself.

Comment

That sounds pretty good. Would you rank them along with Warmoth and USA Custom Guitars, or better? My hangup on the current Charvel necks was all of the positive statements about them, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. I figured it must be easier to make a body than a neck, at least from a perspective of the parts that impact playing the most.

Of course, with Musikraft, painting is a problem, and the company they recommend charges quite a bit. So, maybe you're right, get a Charvel model 3 body, and slap a Musikraft neck on it and call it a day. I noticed Fender makes a compound radius neck, but only 9.5-12.

Edit: I must have been looking at graphics jobs. The standard colors aren't too expensive actually.
                          Last edited by Xyrium; 07-16-2011, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Well 250$ for a solid isn't cheap, but I've a musikraft 5150 and I'm pleased, I was also thinking about getting a "custom" So Cal and it seems they're the best people for this job, Warmoth doesn't offer San Dimas necks.
                            '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
                            '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
                            '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                            '92 Fender Strat scallop
                            '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
                            '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

You could hit up Mike Learn, too.

Anyway the model-series body with the Musikraft neck should do you nicely I would think, if you can find a good donor body that doesn't need paint and then part it out. Finding a 22-fret body is not easy these days though and it seems like most of the Model-series guitars that are not beat to shit are pretty salty.

Comment

Working...
                              X